How can SONY overtake the Panasonic HVX200 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 18th, 2005, 04:12 PM   #46
Major Player

Do P2 cards have a battery backup? Wouldn't that be a problem? Lithium only lasts 7-10 years.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 03:43 AM   #47
Regular Crew

P2 cards are flash memory, aren't they? So they shouldn't need a battery.
Mark Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Overtake? I don't think there's a need to just yet. Probably not even the first year of HVX200's debut. Real "low budget" independant filmmakers, well most won't even appear on the big screen or even be transferred to film. Why? Costs, and realistically knowing your target audience will be on DVD or other format. At least for now, until there is a cheaper alternative for us on a lower budget. I know I won't. I would rather pay for great actors, who can help make my picture more effective. For equipment to produce a more professional look, and special effects. Not to mention, production for distributing my work and marketing, lawyers, etc. So when it comes down to it, the camera is only a small part of what makes up a good picture.

I think most people will stick with their DVX/FX1/Z1/GL2/XL2 or whatever camera has been out and proven in the field to work. The reason? At least for the next year or so, as I have read about everywhere, most people don't have hdtv, DVD players don't play HD, and when it does become available, I'm going to have to sell my DVD production equipment and fork out tons of $$$(since it is new and going to be expensive) for new equipment? No, think this is unfeasable for us "low budget filmmakers".

For myself on a budget, I looked at the XL2, the DVX, the Z1. And for me, I chose the FX1(second hand). Why? Because the image was good enough, better than my GL2. The price was cheap enough, that I could buy a pro tripod and head, pro mike, fig rig for portability, beachtek for audio, a high end laptop for editing, etc in the field. All of which I can use in the future. Or, I could have bought 2 cameras(wish I could have) for the productions. All for the price of just one of those other cameras. To me, that's a smart budget. If I had more $$$, sure I would LOVE to buy another camera. But most of us don't. And that's why Sony is in a good place right now. Now I have plenty for the truck rentals, to pay the crew, and most of all the cast. I don't have to wait until I have more $$ to begin shooting. I think the majority are like me. We'll work with what we can afford, and when the 2nd generation cameras come out, then we might upgrade. So, regardless of whether the panasonic, jvc, or xlh hd1, is a better camera. The price is what's going to keep most of us on a budget away from them for a little while. After all, this whole business comes down to $$$ making, right?

And Sony, whether you love,like,or hate them. Provided us with a good choice to upgrade our SD cameras with(for those of us who wanted to).

This isn't meant as a "bashing" post, or an "I love Sony" post. I would love to have 1 or 2 of those "sexy" cameras. It's just the hard reality for most of us. We want the most out of our budget, and the Sony helps us achieve that at this price range. Sure you can rent the other cameras. But I can't afford the rates for a 30 day shoot or more. And as I hear a lot on here, if you want it to "look like film, shoot it on film". I and everyone I know who has worked with these cams are happy and like the end product. Looks amazing on my 48" HDTV, even if it is sd dvd.

Flame me if you must, lol!

Sean
Sean Hansen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1