FX1 vs VX2K observations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 7th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FX1 vs VX2K observations

I shot these two cameras side by side at the same settings (except the fx1 was widescreen). There were some interesting differences.

The color in the VX2K seems much more robust than the FX1. But after closer inspection I think that the FX1 color is actually more true and the VX2k artifically bumping the color up. Still the FX1 color seems a little flat.

To get the same exposure from the two cameras I have to open the aperture wider on the fx1 than the vx2k. I guess this is not surprising.

In low light it seemed there was more contrast on the VX2K and color was better reproduced.

Anyway, I am trying to get used to using the fx1 and although I really enjoy using it I am afraid I am fairly ignorant. Would anyone be willing to share their opinions between these two cameras and what settings they like to shoot the fx1 with? Am I doing something wrong to make the color seem flat? I looked up some other threads but their links were inactive. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #2
Major Player

check the manual

Usually on Sony camcorders you can adjust the colour saturation and sharpness on-camera.
I'm unfamiliar with the FX1's control system but have a trawl through the manual and see if you can find an adjustment for the colour saturation.

I have read other people say a similar thing to you when they got their HC1 and then when they bumped the sharpness and colour levels up a bit they were very happy.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:16 AM   #3
Wrangler

The "picture profiles" are your key to these adjustments on the FX1 and Z1. There are many more parameters available, and they have a greater range of adjustment than the custom presets on the VX-2000. Look at the manual to get started, then just experiment around.

I think it would be worthwhile to connect the camera to a good monitor or TV (preferably 16:9 native using the component cable) and just fiddle around with the different settings as you observe what happens.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #4
Trustee

Jon Fordham got similar results when he compared the FX1 to the DVX.
Old September 8th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I cranked up the color to +7 in one of the picture profile settings. To get similar colors with the two cams I had the fx1 at +7 and turned the color down a little on the VX2K. It just surprised me that there was such a difference between the two with the factory settings, and I just wanted to make sure I didn't have something wrong. I'll have to play around with it I guess. Also will have to use more lights on my sets when shooting with the fx1 it seems. Just will take some getting used to I suppose.
Dan Measel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 11:00 AM   #6
Inner Circle

One thing to note is that the FX1 tolerates gain increases better than most DV cameras, so you can crank it up to maybe +12db without hurting your image quality too much. In poor lighting I'm also finding it useful to lower the shutter speed on the FX1 to 1/30 second, which works well for subjects without rapid motion. When suitable I'm using an on-camera light switchable between 10 and 20 watts (halogen), which is enough for most of the situations I encounter at weddings.

I still need to play with the picture profiles myself to see what works well. I've seen some FX1 footage which looked impressive in a wide range of lighting conditions, so I suspect changing the settings can help.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #7

Kevin, I don't think you're that far out. I've punched color on the Z1 to +5/6, and sharpness between 11/13, and been very happy with it.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 11:24 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks Douglas, I appreciate the specific suggestions. I'll give that a try.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #9
Wrangler

Dan, have you seen the following thread?

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=49518
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 09:56 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Boyd,

Yeah, the link to the site with the comparison was dead when I tried yesterday, but it works now. Thanks.
Dan Measel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1