CinemaFrame24 vs Pana DVX100A 24p? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 11th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #1
Major Player

CinemaFrame24 vs Pana DVX100A 24p?

Just wondering if anyone has a video comparison of the two? I have been hearing that Pana's 24p is the best and Sony's CinemaFrame24 is pale compared to it, but I wanted to hear it from someone that has used both. It am not looking for the picture quality because one is HDV and the other is DV, but just the look of film. Thanks
Leo Mandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Leo
Just wondering if anyone has a video comparison of the two? I have been hearing that Pana's 24p is the best and Sony's CinemaFrame24 is pale compared to it, but I wanted to hear it from someone that has used both. It am not looking for the picture quality because one is HDV and the other is DV, but just the look of film. Thanks

There is no comparison.
The Panny has a "real" 24p cadence, whereas Sony's is not.
http://www.vasst.com/search.aspx?text=cadence has some shots of the Sony cadence in action. On print, it looks quite similar to how Panasonic accomplishes their cadence, but in actual use the Panny is correctly viewed. CineFrame 24 is more of an "effect," one that can be very cool if managed correctly. The Z1 does not operate at 48k, therefore can't provide what you're looking for. The Z1 has a much nicer picture, but if the main offering you're seeking is 24p, then the Panny is the better option.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 09:32 AM   #3
Major Player

I am confused. At the end of your article you say :

You can clearly see here that the cadence or timing of the frames is even, but it's still a "cheat" on creating frames. This isn't much unlike the DVX 100, but it does have a different feel to the cadence when they're compared side by side. Personally, I prefer CF25 and then slowed by 4%, it's smoother and sweeter overall, but that's my opinion, and is not mathematically quantifiable. However, for very high action shots, over exposed shots with action and tight closeups, the CF24 mode yields a look/style that 24p doesn't catch, and it's a great artistic tool, again in my opinion.

To me this is stating that the CF24 is a better artistic tool, and therefore a much nicer looking film-look (assumption mine). I am looking for HDV, but with a nice 24p look to it as well...I know that the XL2 and the DVX are choices for 24p, but they are not HD - whereas the FX1 is still sub$4000.00.
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:57 AM   #4

I don't think you can quantify "better." 24p IS film cadence, and its got its own look. Is it the look you want? I don't know. I do like the look of CF25 myself. But you'll get others that scream that 24p is more important than anything else. I happen to disagree. Personally, I think 24p on small chips isn't great looking, which is part of why everyone isn't doing it. Sony INVENTED 24p on the digital camera. Why do you suppose they haven't delivered it on 1/3 chip cameras?

If 24p is all you want, then the Panny or JVC will be your only sub 40k choices. If 24p for delivery is what you want, you'll likely be very happy with a good 60/50i or 25p /30p converter to 24p so you can enjoy the files size decrease.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #5
Major Player

Yes, the FX1 and the HC1 are becoming more and more attractive to me all the time. I don't think DV is dead, but at least we are still on the cusp of HD and that is the way forward. Thanks for the comments.
Old September 11th, 2005, 12:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy Leo
Yes, the FX1 and the HC1 are becoming more and more attractive to me all the time. I don't think DV is dead, but at least we are still on the cusp of HD and that is the way forward. Thanks for the comments.
It would depend on what you qualify as "dead." Are sales dead? No, but slowing rapidly.
Are delivery on DV/SD dead? Not for a long time.
Is technological development of any significance dead for DV? Absolutely.

[edit]http://www.cineform.com/products/SonyHDVSupport/CineFrame.htm has a good pictorial on the differences between CF 24 and CF 25.
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1