Century Optics 0.6X WA at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 16th, 2005, 04:20 PM   #1
Major Player

Century Optics 0.6X WA

I am seriously considering buying the Century 0.6X for my Z1, but just wanted to check a few things about it before hand.

I have seen on previous threads that several users seem happy with it, and I know that it has a little barrel distortion - but what I need to know is can you fit it via the bayonet fitting over the filter on the primary lens (I am using a very thin 3mm Hoya Pro 1 digital filter). I don't want to have to remove my UV protection filter every time that I fit the WA. If this is the case I may as well get a screw fitting rather than the bayonet.

Also does the Century have a thread on the front of the lens - once again I would like to fit a protection filter and a shade if possible. I know the purists will say don't worry about it, but I travel to some rough places and environments (Antarctica for example) and I need something on the front of my glass - especially glass of the quality of the Century.

Any help is much appreciated.
Old September 17th, 2005, 02:18 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Century Optics 0.6 wide

Assuming your Z1 is like my FX1, the front element is recessed about 9 mm back from the edge of the filter threads. When mounted, the Century has a protruding inside ring but it only covers about the outer 2mm of threads on the camera, so I'd assume a filter would be fine if it was screwed down far enough.

The Century has some front threads, but the front surface of the WA element is convex and protrudes within 1 mm of the front rim. So any front filter would have to be less than 1 mm thick in total, it looks pretty doubtful to me.

Here are some photos showing the lens near to, and mounted on my FX1.

http://bealecorner.com/fx1/Century/Cent-FX1a.jpg
http://bealecorner.com/fx1/Century/Cent-FX1b.jpg
http://bealecorner.com/fx1/Century/Cent-FX1c.jpg
John Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #3
Major Player

John,

Thanks for your prompt reply and especially the photos. I really do appreciate the effort you have put in to help me. Do you use a filter on the front of your FX1?

I am using a Hoya Pro 1 Digital UV filter on my Z1 and unfortunately when mounted it is exactly 3mm past the bayonet mount. From what you say the Century runs inside the front of the bayonet by almost this much when attached - i.e. it will not fit with the filter on, as the filters sit in front of the bayonet, even when screwed in completely. Only the thread can be fitted into the recess in front of the front lens element. Am I correct on this or have I misinterpreted what you meant? Maybe Century intend people to take the filter off to improve the quality of the image.

Are you happy with the lens? Any flaws?

All your help is much appreciated.
Old September 17th, 2005, 12:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

front filters

I don't use a filter on my FX1, I think the standard lens hood provides enough protection. So far, so good.

I have never actually used the 0.6x for any "real work", only tests so far. I find the lens satisfactory. I have a few test frames here but I'm not sure they tell you much. http://www.bealecorner.com/D30/050505/index.htm

If your filter protrudes past the plane of the bayonet mount then it is not going to work. The century interlocks with the bayonet and protrudes 2mm more towards the lens. Any filter would have to be entirely seated within the front filter threads by at least 2mm for this to work.
John Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2005, 06:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks John,

That's cleared it up. I might still go ahead and buy it. Just not sure if a screw mount version is available - but that may be better for me.

Once again - your help is very much appreciated.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1