skin tones arent right!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 3rd, 2005, 03:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

skin tones arent right!!!

I have shot some interviews using my z1. the color saturations are great my whites are balanced however the faces of people are extremely oragne!!!

only those rooms in which i have tons of florecent lights the faces have the nice combination of orange and pink but for most cases specially using my on camera light and lowels sets the skin tones are wayyyyyyyyyyyy orange looking.

I would appreciate any suggestion as far as setting and exposing right in different situations SPECAILLAY darker areas.
I have compared my footage with an interview shot with the cheap sony 20w lights that cost about $100 for whatever reason the skin tones are better using that light. Are the sony lights by any chance daylights balanced giving off a better exposure?
Dan Farzad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 03:17 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Farzad
I have shot some interviews using my z1. the color saturations are great my whites are balanced however the faces of people are extremely yellow!!!

only those rooms in which i have tons of florecent lights the faces have the nice combination of orange and pink but for most cases specially using my on camera light and lowels sets the skin tones are wayyyyyyyyyyyy orange looking.

I would appreciate any suggestion as far as setting and exposing right in different situations SPECAILLAY darker areas.
It's hard to tell exactly what your shooting conditions are, but if you're balancing for cooler fluorescents and then using an incandescent Lowell on the camera, it's not out of the question that you would see a yellowish or orange cast on the faces of your subjects.

My suggestion is to either balance for the Lowell and let the background become much bluer in general tone or replace the fluorescents (if possible) with ones that match or approximate the color temperature of the Lowell (but make sure you get one with 88+ CRI or color rendition index to try and avoid the green tinge).

Last edited by Matthew Groff; November 3rd, 2005 at 03:51 PM.
Matthew Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 02:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

well no, i do white balance for the lowel and as my conditions change, then I re white balance. Today however i figured out that there is a setting that can make the faces look a bit more orangish(warmer) or have the nice pink look that i'm after in the P2 the second color setting (I beleive color phase).
but havent check my footage yet
Dan Farzad is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1