Music Video shot on Sony HVR-Z1U (Addicting Minds - No Sun Today) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 11th, 2005, 05:25 AM   #1
New Boot

Music Video shot on Sony HVR-Z1U (Addicting Minds - No Sun Today)

Hey made this music video for a song me and my friend created. I don't have the money to afford this cam, but i'm lucky enough to go to a great school with a great taste in cameras. Check it out!

www.addictingminds.com/nosuntoday.mov
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #2
New Boot

Hello,
Hey nice work, although I never seen a raper make a music video out in the woods. =) I thought it was a little dark in some of the area's too. However, nice work for just borrowing the camera and shooting it. I'm sure theres a lot of options on there for someone who doesn't shoot on it, so nice work guys. =)

-Alfonso
Alfonso Rojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

you should really think about using lighting in some areas. i would have shot the singer in completly different shots than the rapper. theres some cleaning up to do, but it looks really good. nice job.
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 06:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Please can you share with us what camera was used and what software? was a little dark in some places but over all it was very good and well put together.
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rog
Please can you share with us what camera was used and what software? was a little dark in some places but over all it was very good and well put together.
In the TITLE line, he said he used an HVR-Z1U...didn't say anything about software though.
Old November 18th, 2005, 09:57 AM   #6
New Boot

Hi, thx for the response... this video was just a "crash" video. just a test.. nothing serious. I filmed it using the 25p function, and cinegamma setting 1.
Color graded and edited in Premiere with the free cineform codec that comes with the upgrade.

Also this was just a test shoot, and i didn't have the time to bother with getting a 2000watts. (don't know what it's called in english) into the forest just to get some lighting for my test shoot.

A quick question:
if i was to shoot in a forest for a short film, in the night and needed power.. wouldn't the (don't know what it's called in english but you hopefully understand what) make too much background noise. How do you solve this problem.. do you have to overdub the scene?
Old November 18th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yngve Elde

Please answer me a question im new to this so im still learning how did you get the music in the video did you take the CD with you and have it playing in the background and have them sing over it in the woods then go back and dub it over is that how it was done?

Last edited by Jim Rog; November 19th, 2005 at 07:48 AM.
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #8
New Boot

I took the cd with me on a portable battery powered boombox into the woods. And recorded the whole song in alle the places. And then i took it back in premiere and synced all the video scenes so that the song on all the scenes starts from the beginning and syncs to the real song. Then i place all of them on different video tracks.. i usually make about 8 video tracks in premiere and lay all the scenes on different tracks, and then i look through all of them and pick out the best scenes and puzzle it together.

Usually on other videos i take the speed of the song up about 150% not too fast.. so the singers can sing to it. And burn the song out to a cd, then record all the scenes in that tempo. And when i get back in post i just do the same thing just slow all the scenes down to 66,66% so that the song is back to it's normal speed, but the video is in slow motion with the singers in sync with the song. So it gets that "film look" if you could call it that.

If you want to know how to calculate how much % you need to take down the speed of a clip you have sped up.. just take the speed you first sped it up to.. say example 180% and divide 100 with 180 then multiply the answer (0.5555) with 100 and it becomes 55.55% thats how much you need to take it down. It's not a real number so if you have a long song, about 10min you may need to resync the song at the end.
Old November 19th, 2005, 02:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Hello Yngve Elde

Thank you for the explanation it was very helpful i always wanted to know how they put a music video together, and now i do.

Thanks again
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:43 AM   #10
New Boot

That power thing, we call it a "generator (ginny)" in english. Well, in the past, if you shoot with the ginny really far away, then you'll be fine. It depends on the size. But, you can get ginny's that come encased in their own sound proof box. If not than use something like cardboard, egg cartons and furniture blankets to absorb/reflect the sound. That is what we've done on larger shoots. But, usually just backing it up 50+ yards away. Or meters... whatever... darn metric system!
Daniel Nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #11
New Boot

No overbubs necessary! Unless it does come out messed up. Always do tests a couple days before you shoot. Or don't pack up your set before you've checked out your audio.
Daniel Nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2005, 02:25 PM   #12
New Boot

Thx!!.. i knew it was "generator" i just couldn't remember it. I think my best solution would be to get it a little far away, and with sone isolation. Here in norway it's called "aggregator".

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1