Any regrets buying a Z1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 13th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Any regrets buying a Z1?

I'm thinking of purchasing a Z1. Anyone have any regrets or suggestions for me?
Paul Chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 08:01 PM   #2
Wrangler

I have no regrets, it's a great camera. But for me personally the deciding factor was the dual PAL NTSC SD capability.

But if you don't specifically need this feature you should give a lot of thought as to whether the FX1 would meet your needs as you could save over $1,200. There are some other nice upgrade features to the Z1, but it might be hard to justify the added cost for them.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:26 PM   #3
New Boot

Yah, I'm in the process of buying one of the two camera's and the sales clerk talked me into settling for the FX1, for the same reason. Anyways, good luck with your decision.

-Alfonso
Alfonso Rojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 02:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Good to see a fella local here on the boards. Z1 is an excellent camera if you need those features. I just settled for the FX1 and spent the extra 1200+ on other video goodies. If you do decide to pick any of these up go to bhphotovideo.com. You'll save couple hundred $$ or more than buying at local retailers.
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Fred, yes I did order my Z1 from B&H, they had a problem with verification so they gave me next day shipping for an additional $16. Hopefully I'll have it here tomorrow.

I checked out Video Life and they want $4,799 for the camera and $499 for the wide angle lens plus tax. So I did save a bit going to B&H.
Paul Chun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 04:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

No regrets on the FX-1

Just regret the days going by with no time to capture some good video.

BTW this cam does great in capturing the moon's surface with a setting of 3000-4000 shutter + zoom lens.
Allen Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 08:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

No regrets on my FX1...I just hate it that it didn't come with built in XLR...I do a lot of interview stuff and the stock mic sucks.
Old November 17th, 2005, 10:55 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Bixby
No regrets on my FX1...I just hate it that it didn't come with built in XLR...I do a lot of interview stuff and the stock mic sucks.
Is there a way to put an XLR on the FX1?
Fred Foronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:04 AM   #9
Major Player

Personally, No regrets getting my FX1.. fantastic camera.

as to the lack of XLR input... get a Beachtek or Sign Video XLRPro adapter box..
both bolt onto the camera and away you go...

works a treat with my AT897 and Senheisser G2 lav set up.

cheers

Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 06:42 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I had my eye on a fx1 for the reasons mentioned above. The difference in price didn't make the z1 seem worth it. As things turned out, I got a z1 and I think it is worth it just for the small changes in options that I use all the time because I have the choice; if I had the fx1 I might not miss them.
HDV is definitely worth the money. I look forward to seeing street models of the canon and panny to see what they offer.
Colvin Eccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 06:46 PM   #11
Major Player

My Z1 paid for itself in 36 days flat. No regrets in the money department.

Only thing I wish....is that the lens was removable which is why I am starring at the new Canon XL-H1. and I dont like how it does the pulldown in the camera for CF24. I wish Sony would have done it the wasy Canon is doing it. All the hoops I gotta jump through in post kinda sucks to get 24p.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:56 AM   #12
Inner Circle

My only sadness is the barrel distortion down the wide-angle end of the zoom. But the whole damn camera costs less than a 'proper' lens, so who am I to complain?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 03:13 AM   #13
New Boot

Z1-best In My Books

Hi CHUN, I HAVE OWNED A Z1 SINCE FEB OF THIS YEAR. TO ME, IT'S THE BEST CAMCORDER IN IT'S CATAGORY. I USED TO USE PANASONIC AGDVX100 CAMERA'S. THE Z1 HAS 42 MORE FEATURES THAN THE FX1 AND IS WORTH THE ADDITIONAL $1200. ALSO BY SHOOTING IN HIGH DEFINITION I HAVE SOLVED PROBLEMS OF ANY FLICKER. THE CLARITY IS THE BEST IVE SEEN AND THE IMAGES ARE BREATH TAKING. YOU MADE A WISE PURCHASE.
Murry Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:24 AM   #14
HDV Cinema

I see five Z1 advantages:

1) Black Streatch

2) Center Cut to SD function

3) Focus Assist

4) XLR without an extra box

5) AE Response

6) Audio Limiter possible on Manual control

7) Simutaneous VF and LCD

8) Dual Formats

Now if you divide the delta in cost by 8 -- or the number you need -- you can see the approximate cost of each feature. Plus the Pro Warrantee and support.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:42 AM   #15
Major Player

Black Stretch and Focus Assist alone are worth it. (focus assist allows you to still manually focus while in automatic focus mode)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1