sony Z1 power problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 16th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #1
Tourist

sony Z1 power problems

was using my Z1 to film a live performance last week. decided to change my battery before the band came on, just to be safe. turned on the camera and nothing happened. seemed like it had shorted out. camera has gone off to sony to be repaired.
i tried the usual. tried different battery, pressed the reset button,tried on mains power......nothing

just wondered if anybody else has experienced this problem ?
somebody mentioned that removing the battery whilst the camera is still turned on can give you problems ?
have also heard (from cameraman working in costa rica who lost 2xZ1's) that if the screen gets even a small amount of water on it, it can short out the camera ?
if the camera shorts does it just blow a fuse ? is this fuse excessable or do i have to return it to sony everytime it happens ?

cheers
andy
Andrew Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 04:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You're using genuine Sony batteries, Andrew? Sounds like a real dose of bad luck ~ so you didn't capture the performance?
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #3
Wrangler

Definitely a bad idea to change batteries on any electronic device without turning it off. There was discussion of power problems on the FX1 awhile ago, but they seemed related to using the plug-in charger which the Z1 doesn't have:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=44855

Let us know how it works out.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 05:39 AM   #4
Trustee

Whoa. I have a friend with an FX1 who had his cam just stop booting up. It took a while to fix and would have been expensive if it wasn't under extended warranty. I have seen way too many posts like this.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Marchesseault
Whoa. I have seen way too many posts like this.
Where?

Considering the number of these cameras that have now been sold, and the treatment that many of them may well be receiving from owners who may not be as diligent as we'd like to hope, it'd be fair to say that the Sony HDV cams are actually quite robust.

Even a perusal of many of the power related issues posted here at DVInfo will show that non-Sony batteries and leaving the FX-1 on mains recharge for extended periods (making damage from surges, brownouts and spikes a real possibility) are major contributors.

Is that Sony's fault? Maybe they need to tatoo the operating instructions to the insides of every FX-1/Z1 camera owners eyelids... but that'd create the affliction known as "the Sony HDV blink".

Seems like you don't like these cameras. I'd suggest you don't buy one, and then you'll be a lot happier.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Definitely a bad idea to change batteries on any electronic device without turning it off.

Boyd is certainly correct. All of these cameras have internal shutdown procedures, and they need to have power to do this. Removing the battery, while the camera is on, prevents this proper shutdown. That is why they power down by themselves when the battery gets low, it's self protection.

Always shut them all off before making any power or lens changes etc.

Good luck--Mike
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:27 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I must say that I've been using VX2ks for years now, and have never had any qualms about changing batteries whatever mode the camera's in - even recording.

Never had a problem, but from now on I'll take more care to shut down, switch off, then disconnect power.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 06:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kemp
have also heard (from cameraman working in costa rica who lost 2xZ1's) that if the screen gets even a small amount of water on it, it can short out the camera ?
i've used my Z1 in the pouring west coast rain with a cover for about an hour, works perfectly still.
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:48 PM   #9
Major Player

Andrew,

Please report back to let us know what the problem was and if you may have accidentally did someting that is avoidable.

- ShannonRawls.com
Old December 22nd, 2005, 01:35 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kemp
have also heard (from cameraman working in costa rica who lost 2xZ1's) that if the screen gets even a small amount of water on it, it can short out the camera?
Can you quantify "small amount of water" Andrew?

Not dissimilar to Neils experience; I have shot in snow... and figured on not using my raincover. I had to use an absorbent towelette to mop the water off the LCD when I noticed the snowflakes melting and starting to seep under the LCD bezel. No zaps or cam failure, so it'd be informative to know exactly how much they reckon is a "small amount".
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1