Firewire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 18th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Firewire

Okay, so confusing... what cable to I have to buy to hook my FX1-E to my new Apple G5? Dumb question, I know but... yeesh. The cable that comes with the camera won't fit into the computer and the standard firewire cable won'e fit into the camera.
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy Moore
Okay, so confusing... what cable to I have to buy to hook my FX1-E to my new Apple G5? Dumb question, I know but... yeesh. The cable that comes with the camera won't fit into the computer and the standard firewire cable won'e fit into the camera.

There are basically three firewire configurations. Six pin to six pin, six pin to four pin, and four pin to four pin.

Not sure about your computer, but it will be four or six pin connection, and most cameras are four pin. My desktop is six, and my laptop is four pin, and this is the most common configuration. Almost all cameras a four pin. Therefore I have two different cables.

I hope that this helps.

Mike
Old December 18th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Wrangler

The G5's have six pin firewire 400 ports, so you will need a firewire 400 cable with a male 6-pin connector on one end and a male 4-pin connector on the other.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
The G5's have six pin firewire 400 ports, so you will need a firewire 400 cable with a male 6-pin connector on one end and a male 4-pin connector on the other.
Thanks Boyd,

I'm a PC guy so could not get as specific as you.

Thanks--Mike
Old December 18th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #5
Major Player

Oh, great, thanks for writing back--so the Fx-1 takes a 4 pin? So I need a 4 pin to 6?
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1