FX1 - clipping of loud sound at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 3rd, 2006, 02:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FX1 - clipping of loud sound

I've discovered that the FX1's audio will saturate and clip when recording a loud noise, particularly loud low frequency noises. I discovered this from several shoots during thunderstorms. Loud thunder will clip and sound unnatural. My VX2100 and TRV900 have no problem with loud noise and the thunder nat audio has always sounded great. I normally shoot storms with 2 or 3 cameras, so I can just use the sound from the other cameras on the HD track. But it would be nice to be able to use the nat sound from the FX1.

Just wondered if this was due to a correctable factory setting on the FX1 or if it just has a different mic that can't handle loud sound.
Dan Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 05:19 AM   #2
Major Player

Do you have the audio levels set manually or do you leave it on automatic? I tape lots of bands and I've found that when I leave it on auto, it tends to clip a bit. Try it on manual. I'm not sure if a concert is as loud as thunder but the music definitely sounds fine when it's set correctly.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:20 AM   #3
New Boot

Hey mark

are you saying the stock mic on fx1 sounds fine when manually set...or are you accounting for using a different mic altogether such as the xlr input types?
Randy Chisolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:29 AM   #4
Major Player

Check out my post on Crying Nut.

I had it set on manual at around 5 on the notch. I don't remember it going into the red too often but most of my sound was bad.

I tried Sony's Sound Forge 8 and I was able to fix most of the problems I had but...

I need to remember to carry headphones with me if I'll be recording loud concerts.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:40 AM   #5
Inner Circle

And have the level meters displayed on screen. Leaving the dial at 5 means nothing I'm afraid.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:57 AM   #6
Major Player

I do use the meters. I just wasn't paying attention to it I guess. When I was checking the meters it wasn't going into the reds.

Crying Nut happens to be one of the groups I like, so I guess my attention to details was distracted.
John Kang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1