FX1 or DVX100 for Film Noir at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 14th, 2006, 11:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

FX1 or DVX100 for Film Noir

I hope this is the right place to post this.

Well anyways, I am shooting a film noir/ Sin City style short film with my own “unique” touches thrown in.

I already have access to a Panasonic DVX100, but I have found a cameraman that is willing to let me rent him, his FX1, and his equipment for $50 a day.

Which should I use?

I know the DVX100 has 24p, but I prefer the detail of HD. In my opinion the HD makes it look closer to film then 24p at SD. Both would be preferable, but that is not in the budget.

My biggest concern is the horrendous interlacing issues I’ve seen on some FX1/Z1 footage. The professional stuff I’ve seen has none of this, but all the home video style stuff is plagued with horizontal lines.

How and why does it accrue? How do I stop it? I’ve noticed that if I import the footage into After Affects 6.5, the striping goes away. Could these artifacts be from windows play back?

My other concern is latitude and highlight handling. I have seen good results from both. Neither are close to film, but I have an HDR (High Dynamic Range Lighting) technique I apply that seems to work pretty well.

Audio is not important (I’ll have an external recorder). Image quality is all that matters.

So what’s your opinion? Which should I pick?

P.S. Please don’t say I should go with a HVX200 or H1. Unless you are planning on letting me borrow one, I can’t afford to use them. Thanks
Kris Galuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Test Shoot One Day

Kris:

This forum is loaded with threads arguing over these very questions. Ultimately, the answer lies in actually testing out both cameras, and rendering the test to a finished product, to determine if you can get where you want to go. There will be plenty out there who will argue for one camera or the other. I have the FX1. I love what it can do. If I have learned anything from being on this forum, there are plenty of those out there who will berate it, and come up with reasons not to use it. What you need to be concerned about is will it get you the finished product you are looking for, and forget about the 24p v. whatever arguments. If you're looking to take it out to film, you will need to consider how you are going to shoot it, but it doesn't mean it can't be done.

It is my understanding that shooting in Cineframe 30 with the FX1, and rendering to 24p does work. The argument is that you loose some of the definition gained through using the HDV format in the first place.

Chris Barcellos
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Fx1

I'm really not concerned about blowing up to film. If a distributor wants my short that badly, then they'd probably be willing to pay for the blow up.

This is really more of a calling card project, and a way to push my skills to the breaking point.

Like I said, my main concern is the stripping I've seen in some of the FX1 footage.
Have you had a problem with this?

Thanks for the help.
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The interlace lines may be from the video player you are using. In VLC Player for example you have to select De-Interlace to watch m2t files without interlaced lines.

Vegas does a nice De-Interlace also, and the 1080i60 renders well to 720p24 IMO. You still have to be very careful with camera movement, shooting interlaced with progressive output in mind. The smooth movements in the viewfinder may not be so smooth once you render to 24p.

Last edited by Patrick Swinnea; January 17th, 2006 at 03:32 PM.
Patrick Swinnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:37 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Galuska
I have found a cameraman that is willing to let me rent him, his FX1, and his equipment for $50 a day.
Doesn't that price sound a bit low?
Old January 17th, 2006, 02:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Holy crap!

Yeah, $50 a day is crazy low! Be careful or you may end up getting what you pay for...

If that's what he charges then that's what he delivers. You'd probably do better to take him up on it, get the camera and then give him the day off...
Patrick Swinnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Great deal?

It's a great deal because he likes my script.

A lot of people (from models to DP's) have offered to work on the project for little to no pay.

Also, a lot of people in this industry are looking for a calling card type project. They are willing to work for free if they get a unique experience and good exposure. It's hard to find either in Dallas. We are hoping to have the short in many festivals this year and next.

I graduate from college this spring. Most people would be looking for a job, but I'm tempted to start my own production company. I don't want to play the Hollywood game where movies are made based on marketing and demographics. I want to tell stories.

If creative, passionate people stick together, great things can be accomplished.

Sorry for the small rant
Old January 17th, 2006, 06:49 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Right on. I've had lots of people work for me for free based on a script and/or for credits and experience so I totally get you. I guess I thought you had just "found" this guy.
Patrick Swinnea is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1