The best FX1/Z1U footage out there? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 16th, 2006, 10:56 PM   #1
Major Player

The best FX1/Z1U footage out there?

Hello I'm considering the purchase of an FX1 or DVX100 in the coming months for independent film work. It's just recently I've started looking into the FX1. But I would like to see the best footage I can. Color graded with 24p converstion. Preferably with a 35mm adapter like the redrock M2 or G35 since I'll be using one of these type of adapters.

I'll be going for the FX1 rather then the Z1U due to cost.

Can you point me to some footage like this? Thank you
Old January 17th, 2006, 04:53 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Be advised that the american FX1 will not shoot at 50i, and that the different ways of getting 24p with an FX1 or Z1 are clutches at its best and a nuissance at its worst. Why don't you rent a Z1 for a day? You'd see what the image is like and get a feel for the workflow (equally important if you want to go 24p).
Old January 17th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben De Rydt
Be advised that the american FX1 will not shoot at 50i, and that the different ways of getting 24p with an FX1 or Z1 are clutches at its best and a nuissance at its worst. Why don't you rent a Z1 for a day? You'd see what the image is like and get a feel for the workflow (equally important if you want to go 24p).
Recent developments with Cineform and other software products such as Gearshift for Vegas and Graeme Nattress' filters on Mac have eased the pain of frame rate conversion.

I've just completed a mixing of 1080 50i FX-1 PAL clips with 720 30p JVC NTSC clips into a 720 24p PAL project that played back without any nasties or even any visible difference between footage from the different cameras at their different original frame rates.

Many things are changing faster for HDV than I've seen for any other digital technology. It ain't all roses, but it isn't all crud either... Mind you, if one had the choice, the Z1 is definitely worth going that little extra distance. Come to think of it every SD/HD/HDV camera is fantastic. Cave man just blew moist clay over the back of his hand to make images on cave walls - we get to slam something that the vast majority of humanity up to this point in time could have only dreamt about as something miraculous. Sign of the times being so pampered for choice...

Mike? Have you checked the sample videos on the VASST website? They may have the sort of thing you're after...
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:46 AM   #4
Major Player

That site only has m2t footage, which cannot be opened or read on a Mac.

At least to my understanding.

Anybody aware of a converter for the Mac?
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

VLC plays m2t.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1