Purchasing External Mic and....... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 17th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Purchasing External Mic and.......

I'm in hopes of getting some feedback prior to this investment as I would like to get the best for the dollar and not look back. On the external mic I've decided on either the Sony 678 or the Audio Technica ST 4073A. Both are pretty much the same nickel and hopefully good choices.

Also considering the Rycote windshield for the Sony but would it present a problem with it appearing in the frame? If so, does the answer lie in replacing Sony's mic mount attached to the camera? Also on the mic mount itself would one be better to replace it for better mic isolation or is the current one adequate?

One last thought rather than taking it off and mounting it each and every time is it possible to just reverse it (facing backwards) for transporting - leaving it attached to the camera (makes life a little simpler) - a trick that did work for another piece of gear I used along the way.

Again I appreciate any comments before I take the plunge. Now is the time to ask.
George Yousko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 02:35 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi George,

I use a AT 4073A with a Azden Shock Mount because the mic won't fit Z1's mount. I do have to use the mount backwards to keep the mic out of frame but it works fine even when using the Rycote softie.

I rarely transport my camera with the Mic connected as I am under the impression (have been told) that the XLR connectors break easily.
Joe Lumbroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2006, 11:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Greetings Joe

Excellent point about the XLR connectors - makes sense - on the adopter does it replace the Sony or is it connected to the hot shoe?
Old January 20th, 2006, 12:21 PM   #4
Major Player

We have 12 of the following setups where I work and if there is a better setup out there than this one I would love to hear about it. Get a Audio tech. AT8469 camera mount adapter along with a Audio tech. AT8415 microphone shock mount and the most important part a rycote wind protection. With this setup you can pull wide and never see the mic do to the highth of the mount and also the highth makes it where you cant here the camera running. I wont use any other rig until I hear of a better one. Bet you will have no problems with this setup and good luck. Also get a 1.5 ft XLR with a 90 degree female this way you can open and close your LCD screen.
John M. McCloskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2006, 08:03 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Decision Over

That does it - placing the order - thank you both for your input - now what's next on the list........

Cheers!!
Old January 21st, 2006, 10:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I would recommend the AT8415 shock mount over the Azden I have mostly because it is shorter than the Azden which, even when mounted backwards with a 90 degree female XLR, I cannot open and close my LCD screen.
Joe Lumbroso is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1