Hip Hop's Dead: The making of an HDV Music Video - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 31st, 2006, 08:47 PM   #31
MPS Digital Studios

Friendly codec--QuickTime movie, right?

heath
Old January 31st, 2006, 08:48 PM   #32
MPS Digital Studios

ps-Sorry I'm getting this off topic. I may start a new thread over in editing.

heath
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:54 PM   #33
Major Player

View the Music Video NOW!!!

Gustavo, here you go...

"Hip Hop's Dead" has been selected to screen on the Independent Film Channel's website as part of their IFC Media Lab film competition. Please, please, please, take the time to visit the website, register to vote, and give my video a nice high score!!! The films with the highest score will screen on the Independent Film Channel in the coming months. Please, take the time to do this! You can find the film at the following link: http://medialab.ifc.com/film_detail.jsp?film_id=471 or go to http://medialab.ifc.com/ and click NEWEST.

Chris Hurd and I and in the process of getting the video hosted at HDVi when the article is posted. But in the meantime, you can view it at IFC!

Heath, I did take the opportunity to run some of the CF25 footage from Lance's film through the codec and export that Graeme recommended and used Cinema Tools to conform to 23.98. I then imported the 23.98 file and downconverted to DV50. The results were beautiful! I will be outlining this process and the results in the article I'm writing for HDVi chronicling my experiences with the the Z1 and CF25. Stay tuned!
Jon Fordham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:07 PM   #34
MPS Digital Studios

Just so you know, Lance is a writer/director who did a short horror film last month (re-shoots the other day) that Jon shot and I line produced. It looks great! But it's in post, so we'll link up a trailer soon.

heath
Old February 1st, 2006, 06:00 AM   #35
Major Player

excellent work everyone
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 06:39 AM   #36
RED Problem Solver

By "fiendly codec" I mean, not long GOP MPEG FCP magic codec.....

So, Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2
PhotoJPEG 75%
DVCproHD

etc.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 07:08 AM   #37
Major Player

But what if you only have an FX1 and don't have the 50i option? Will 60i look good enough? Or is the difference between 50i and 60i transfered to 24p really big enough to warrant the price difference?

Graeme as you might know in our country there is a huge price difference between an fx1 and z1u.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2006, 07:24 AM   #38
RED Problem Solver

60i to 24p through my software looks really good too. If you need to get 60i media onto a 24p timeline, use the Standards Converter, or if on a 60i timeline with 3:2 pulldown is fine, use Film Effects. Either way, use Film Effects for it's lovely gamma curves.

Is the difference enough to warrant the price change? Possibly - the flexibility of the Z1 is very good, as is the better audio inputs.

But you can get great results either way.

Graeme
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:03 AM   #39
Major Player

Sorry to ask yet another dumb question and high jack a thread but can a dvd be made from the 3:2 pulldown 24p of film effects? Sure it won't be a true 24p dvd and won't have minimal conpression but it'll still look 60i right? I'm asking because as of right now I'm on fce hd and won't be looking to upgrade until apple once again offers upgrades, which they're not doing right now, not for fce. I've got a friend that has fcp 5 though maybe I could get it off of him if neccessary.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 07:10 AM   #40
MPS Digital Studios

Go here for those questions:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...457#post423457

I set it up for Sony HDV to 24p.

heath
Old February 2nd, 2006, 08:15 AM   #41
RED Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan C. King
Sorry to ask yet another dumb question and high jack a thread but can a dvd be made from the 3:2 pulldown 24p of film effects? Sure it won't be a true 24p dvd and won't have minimal conpression but it'll still look 60i right? I'm asking because as of right now I'm on fce hd and won't be looking to upgrade until apple once again offers upgrades, which they're not doing right now, not for fce. I've got a friend that has fcp 5 though maybe I could get it off of him if neccessary.
Yes, you can make a DVD from it. It will look 24p, but be contained within 60i. Be very careful with field order. For Film Effects in HDV set to upper. Make sure compressor knows that your video is upper or it will muck things up.

Graeme
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:34 PM   #42
Regular Crew

$50 video! Looks fantastic.
Chris Jothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2006, 07:10 PM   #43
Major Player

Thank you, Chris!

Yeah, you want to know where that $50 went? $10 on a Sony MiniDV EX tape, $20 to take a car service from my apartment in Brooklyn into Manhattan, and $20 to take a cab back to my apartment in Brooklyn!

If it weren't for carrying the monitor, I could've taken the subway and the video would've cost me a grand total of $10!
Jon Fordham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 12:33 PM   #44
Obstreperous Rex

I don't think I ever posted these links... Jon's article is now on HDV Info Net:

http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/sony...ordhamhhd1.php

http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/sony...ordhamhhd2.php

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2006, 02:53 PM   #45
Major Player

2006 SITC Screening

This weekend is your last chance to see "Hip Hop's Dead" at the 2006 Sundays in the City March Movie Marathon!!!

"Hip Hop's Dead" will be making its third and final screening at the 2006 Sundays in the City March Movie Marathon this Sunday March 26th at 6:45PM. "Hip Hop's Dead" will screen preceding the multi award winning* film "Blackwater Elegy" starring Barry Corbin and John Cullum.

For more info please visit:

2006 Sundays in the City March Movie Marathon
http://www.lonebeast.com/sundaysinth...ttheevent.html

Blackwater Elegy
http://www.blackwaterelegy.com
http://imdb.com/title/tt0384851/combined

And for those of you not in NY, you can still view the Music Video at the IFC Media Lab!

"Hip Hop's Dead" @ the IFC Media Lab
http://medialab.ifc.com/film_detail.jsp?film_id=471

*Awards for Blackwater Elegy
Milagro Award @ 2003 Santa Fe Film Festival
Best Short Film @ 2004 George Lindsey UNA Film Festival
Best Short Film @ 2004 Tambay International Film Festival
Best Supporting Actor Award for John Cullum @ 2004 Tambay International Film Festival
Audience Choice Award @ 2004 Jacksonville Film Festival
Best Cinematography Award for Jon Fordham @ 2004 Thunderbird International Film Festival
Best Short Film @ 2005 Semana Internacional De Cine Naval Y Del Mar De Cartagena in Spain
Best Screenplay @ 2005 Semana Internacional De Cine Naval Y Del Mar De Cartagena in Spain
Florida Choice Award @ 2005 Independents Film Fest Tampa
Jon Fordham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1