NRG U.S. battery belt charger work in Australia power 220/50hz with volt converter? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:22 PM   #1
New Boot

NRG U.S. battery belt charger work in Australia power 220/50hz with volt converter?

I have a Z1U & I'm looking at buying a gently used NRG Day-Pro battery belt from a member, but I'm moving to Australia soon & wonder if I can use the standard U.S. charger there with a voltage converter 220 to 110 without problems? NRG has a universal charger available, but it's $200 extra I don't want to spend. Most elctronics without an AC motor would be fine, but I don't know these belts.

Will this belt work fine with my Z1U (using the XLR sockets, I assume)?

The seller's a newbie like me & doesn't know, so I'ld appreciate any advice you can give.
Daniel Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #2
Major Player

Nrg

My regular 24-hour NRG charger got wiped out in India; I think there was a 220 surge that got the converter and the charger. Converter was a travel type. I have just ordered the NRG quick charger/worldwide which does the job in an hour. $189USD, but worth the money to have quick light when I need it. Also use an NRG AC to DC converter which works very well. I have the 12v65wh belt. It will run for about 45 minutes with a 50watt light and has saved my life overseas. There is a two-pin XLR type female connector that goes into the light with a standard U.S.male plug on the other end. (All this can be ordered from NRG). That goes to a standard female plug receptacle, with into a 4-pin connector on the other end, which goes into the belt itself. (The light is also NRG,a versalite with small barn doors that I use on the Z1 and also on a stand as a fill or key light.) I don't know much about Australia, but if the power is consistent, I would guess the U.S. would be OK. If not, I would use the NRG version. The belt itself is designed to power any number of accessories/and/or/cameras either with a 4-pin or cigarette lighter adapter
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 10:01 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks for the very helpful info Jack. It answered all my questions, including some I hadn't asked in my post. It's the 12v 65wH belt I'm looking at buying and I was wondering how long it lasts in use. Your info on that, using a light, was great. I was hoping not to have to spend the money on the universal charger, with everything else I'm spending on the move, but after reading your reply on it, I'm seriously considering it. I don't know how much I'll be using the belt. As for surges, I'll be playing it safe with very good surge protectors, voltage convertors &/or regulators, & power conditioners/filters, to ensure my high end audio and video equipment isn't damaged.
I'm trying to think of anything I may need later, to get it all here before I go, since things are more expensive there for U.S. made items. Your info on the cables was helpful, to make sure I have all the right connectors. I'm also planning to buy a light and have looked at the NRG ones, especially the dimmable Varalux Prof, with 4 pin XLR to connect either the Z1 or belt, etc. The belt I'm looking at has 1 cig lighter & 1 XLR plug, so I'ld have to connect only one of them at a time to the belt with the XLR type light (unless there's a cig to XLR adapter?), but I thot it would be more flexible to have the XLR type, so I can connect directly to the Z1.
I'm also considering the Lowel iD-light that's dimmable, don't know yet which is the better choice for quality features & price.
Thanks again.
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Nrg

Hi Daniel,

Lee Ann at NRG Research can answer the specifics for you.
http://www.nrgresearch.com/ 800-753-0357/
I don't believe they sell a dimable light, which is a very good idea.
I'd go with XLRs.

Regards,

Jack
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2006, 11:13 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi Jack,
Thanks for the contact info. The NRG Varalux Professional light is adjustable, takes DC 20-100W lamps & can adjust them from 10-100% of a lamps power. After reading your first post, I'm leaning to adding on the barndoors option (and maybe even light effect grids).
Old February 10th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #6
Major Player

Nrg

Hi Daniel,

The barndoors are very useful, especially when you use the light for hair or fill. Lots more control of your light placement. Forgot to talk about use time. I get about 45 minutes with a 50w. Probably about 30 with a 100w. Most of the time I use the 50w. I don't have the adjustable light, but would definitely get it on the next go-around. I do like the grids. I got the white grid pack for about $39. They give you a nice soft flood for interviews (with a 30% white diffuser) and for closeups. I was shooting in an art museum at Stanford last week and used the 60% white shooting paintings. Even and soft light for the Z1.

Jack
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1