New Music Video Shot on FX1e - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 11th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #16
New Boot

I loved it man! Your stuff is great! I especially love the colors. Its real inspiring. Makes you want to go out drop everything and shoot some quality stuff. Great job man! Congrats.
Daniel Nunez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Guys,

Carlos, The video looks cool man. Like the idea of the newspaper, and the lighting, an animation was really nice.

Mike, basically, we playback from a master, and then the artists perform that part of the track. Most of the shots were a one take deal. The max takes was 3.

Thanks Daniel, i'm really pleased you like it, it means all the hard work actually paid off.

Thanks Guys, Nick
Nicholas Bartleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 02:17 AM   #18
New Boot

You know, i now I have so much "real" photography to improve, as I have a lack of equipment, like depth of field, lighting, and as I work almost all the doing all by my self, I prefer do my best in post, and I think im getting better, but i wish someday I had the "eye" you have on photography and the artistic Ideas you have on shoot... Well I guess everyone has its strenghts... But i wish I could improve a little my shooting.

Greetings!
http://estamosenvideo.com/yasik
Carlos Yasik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Nicholas what a great looking video , my hats off for you, and you really did a great CC, it did hit right on the spot, may i ask what workflow you used witht his
did you shoot on 60i, 50i or the CF modes? keep it up youre looking great!
Rafael Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys,
Rafael, i shot in 50i, and captured 1080 50i dvcpro-HD. I edited in this format, and then de-interlaced in FCP prior to color correction in Shake. The finished color corrected video was then scaled down to SD for delivery uncompressed on a dual layer DVD, where it was laid onto Digibeta.
I usually happily shoot in the CF mode, but being as i could only capture interlaced at 1080, i decided to capture it as raw as possible, and do everything in post.

Hope this helps,

Regards, Nick
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #21
New Boot

Cabling?

I did in fact capture DVCPRO-HD (Whereby the G5 and Kona card was my capture and encoding device), directly from the uncompressed component outputs on the Fx1. The obvious reason for doing so was to use the far higher quality DVCPRO-HD codec instead of the typical HDV MPG one.

I hope this clears things up for you, and thanks for your questions and comments...

Hi Nick,

I think I understand the process.
But, I don't understand the cabling.
How did you connect your component from the FX1 to the BNCs of the Kona LH?
Do such cables exist?
I'm assuming, too, that coming out of the FX1 in this way you give up any opportunity for control and that you are just capturing as it plays out?

Inspirational work.

Best,

Whit Wales
Whit Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2006, 04:47 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi Whit,

You need to get some bnc to rca adaptors, they go for a couple of quid each on ebay.
You obviously still have total control over the camera settings such as ap and shutter, and the computer becomes your deck, so the deck control is you capture window in final cut pro.

Regards, Nick
Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:05 AM   #23
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Bartleet
Hi Guys, Just completed another video, which again, i shot on my FX1e. This time, i used a Kona LH card, and captured DVCPRO-HD directly from the component outputs on the camera.
I get quite confused by all these formats... and also I use PCs instead of Macs. So could I ask you to explain a couple of points please?

1. I thought that DVCPRO-HD was a Panasonic format?
2. Do you know of an equivalent card which can be used in a PC? The Kona is Mac only.
Antony Meadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2006, 08:31 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Hi Antony,
You can buy the Kona LH for the PC, the only problem is that none of the editors support capture to HD codecs, so you would have to buy a very expensive disk array and capture uncompressed, instead of into the DVCPRO-HD codec.
I have done most of my work in the past on my PC, however it actually worked out cheaper to buy the mac, and the card and new monitors etc, than it would have been to set up the pc to do capture.

Hope this helps, Nick
Old March 3rd, 2006, 09:51 AM   #25
Major Player

35mm adapter and lighting

Hi Nicholas,

I loved your vids, all of them! They are what makes me happy to own a FX-1!

My friend is raving about Panasonic's new 200 but why bother when you can get shot's like these?

As to lighting, I think lighting makes up for the look of your music videos. Do you have any videos with outdoor lighting?

Your behind the scenes picts of 3Lflex gives me a better idea on how to light for my Fx and I'd like to see what you can do for outdoors.

Also, I know you mentioned not having the time to make the 35mm adapters for anyone, how about sharing your plans on building a 35mm adapter?

Does anyone else here have a link to the thread on a diy project on the adapter? Expecially for the Sony Fx/Z1 72mm lens setup?

Thank you.
John Kang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Bartleet
Hi Antony,
You can buy the Kona LH for the PC, the only problem is that none of the editors support capture to HD codecs, so you would have to buy a very expensive disk array and capture uncompressed, instead of into the DVCPRO-HD codec.
I have done most of my work in the past on my PC, however it actually worked out cheaper to buy the mac, and the card and new monitors etc, than it would have been to set up the pc to do capture.

Hope this helps, Nick

is the kona LH or the xena LH capable of live capturing via an analog component input ? if so will it encode it on the fly to dvcpro HD? dvfilm.com has a new codec to allow editing of dvcpro HD on Vegas and i think premiere 2.0 has editing capabitlities also, if so , then we dont need expensive disk arrays , cuz a 300gb sata drive could storage a couple of hours of dvcpro hd, right?
Rafael Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Awesome

Your work is fantastic!!! Really ispires me! :)
Antony Quintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 05:37 PM   #28
Trustee

Could someone clear something up for me here?

What does the FX1/Z1u output through analog component, if it's not HDV compression? I thought the 25mbits/sec stream was sent through analog as well as going to tape?

So there's more data through the analog output? Or are we simply making the post process easier by putting all the footage directly into larger, more flexible-to-work-with DVCPRO-HD files?

So I know it outputs 1080i, but 1080i what? Obviously not uncompressed...

I feel like I sound like an idiot, but I'm not completely understanding how it's possible that more data is coming through the analog component output.
Ben Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2006, 09:34 PM   #29

Analog component outputs on the FX1/Z1 are 1080 50/60i, 4:2:2 uncompressed.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1