Does the FX1 Shoot decent 4:3 standard DV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 14th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does the FX1 Shoot decent 4:3 standard DV

I was digging through ancient forum topics from last year and I'm getting all this conflicting info about the Z1 can only shoot full screen decent 4:3 in regular DV mode? Can the FX1 not do this also?
Mike McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Sure the FX1 can. I have done it many times. Compared to my Canon GL2, the picture is clearer and the color more accurate (less bleeding).
http://pages.infinit.net/cybrmonk/
Montreal, Quebec
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sean Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 05:12 PM   #3
Wrangler

I have a Z1, but IIRC the difference is that it will let you shoot HDV and then downconvert to cropped 4:3 (edge crop menu function) whereas the FX1 can only downcovert to 16:9 DV.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #4
Regular Crew

When you talk about "cropping", is the 4:3 image full screen on a regular 4:3 TV (from DV mode)?
For one particular usage I would be shooting DV only so I'm not worried about shooting HDV and downconverting......just plain vanilla DV, but as long as the FX can create full screen 4:3 on a standard tv then I can use it.
Mike McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The FX1 is able to record 4:3 DV. Cropping is only relevant if you record in HDV.
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I never shoot in DV. I always shoot in HDV and then downconvert afterwards, as I think the downconverted HDV looks alot better than the original DV(if you dont mind the 16:9 matting).
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:02 PM   #7
Inner Circle

For what it's worth, I shot some decent DV footage with an HD10U last year when I first got it. Of course, in DV mode, the HD10U is still seriously lacking in manual controls (can't control exposure and aperature at the same time, no black stretch, no zebra, etc.).
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1