Missing Pixel on my FX1!?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 6th, 2006, 05:30 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Missing Pixel on my FX1!?!

Hi guys, here’s my story so far…

After ordering the FX1 I received it last week and I was well pleased with it, but when I used the eye piece I noted it had a missing pixel just off centre! It was a little annoying but I phoned up the supplier and got it changed. But when the new one came it too had another missing pixel!?! So I phoned up the dude again and he said he would get back to me… although he said that Sony says if it has less then 4 missing pixels the cameras ok?!?

So I am waiting for him to get back to me. What does anyone think of this? Has anyone had the same problem? Will more pixels go missing? Should I ask for another one or just let it go? I am not too sure what to do. Any help would be welcomed especially if you have had similar problems.
Andrew Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2006, 07:31 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

A dead pixel or two in the EVF display or the flip-out LCD display isn't rare and isn't considered defective. The quality control standard for LCD panels used for this purpose is something like 99.97%, which means that out of 200,000 or so pixels on the panel, if four of them are out, it's still within quality control standards.

The real problem though is dead pixels on the CCD image sensor. These show up on recorded footage and when this happens then it's time to get the camera serviced.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2006, 05:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Chris, so I take it there’s no point trying to get it changed again and it shouldn’t start to spread through the rest of the screen?

Thanks
Andrew Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

This has the potential to happen to all camcorders w/LCD displays; see http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=62467 for the same thing with the Canon XL H1.

There's no reason why it should spread to other pixels.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1