STOKED... but need to know what battery is included... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 15th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kang
Well, the small battery that comes with the FX-1 does last about 21/2 to 3 hours.
I'm still finding that had to believe for some reason.... maybe my Z1 draws more power than your FX1?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:58 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Boyd, my 2 and 1/2 hour result with a 570 is on a Z1U. I'll use my 570 one last time and try to time it this time just for you (I used the word "time" 3 times in this sentence. heh).
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #18
Wrangler

That will be interesting to see. Again, my 4 to 5 hour number is based on continuous running with both viewfinder and LCD active. If I shoot for short periods and turn the camera off in between then I think the run time might be a lot longer. OTOH, I see that the B&H sells the 570 for about $50 and the 970 for about $100, so they would both cost about the same per hour :-)

On page 12 of the Z1 manual it lists estimated continuous HDV recording time with the LCD on and fully charged batteries as follows:

570: 105 min
770: 220 min
970: 335 min

Interestingly, they list slightly longer times when recording DVCAM/DV SP:

570: 110 min
770: 235 min
970: 355 min

But Sony seems to think the 970 lasts 3x as long as the 570, not 2x as you're claiming. Now personally I think that 335 minute rating for the 970 might be a little optimistic. But they aren't even claiming 2 hours time for the 570. They claim "typical times" of 185 minutes for the 970 and 55 minutes for the 570. Those might be more like "worst case" numbers however...
Old March 20th, 2006, 04:25 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Another nice timely thread...

A third party eBay battery just died on me the other day. Fully charged, yet when I boot up my fx1 with the battery I get the error message "Use 'InfoLithium' Battery". It was a knockoff 970, and had worked perfectly for a few uses prior to yesterday.

I'm now attempting to get a replacement as they offer a 1 year warranty... might have just been this one that was defective.

Last edited by Boyd Ostroff; March 21st, 2006 at 08:24 AM. Reason: removed non-sponsor link
Mike Toledano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:31 AM   #20
Regular Crew

The ebay store will replace it for me free of charge. In fact they are sending it to me before I send the defective battery back. Good communication, we'll see how this goes.
Mike Toledano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 07:54 AM   #21
Major Player

Just out of curiosity, I never hear anyone use power directly from the power cable. Is that a bad thing?

My old Hi 8 cam had a battery that lasted only 2 hours, so every chance I had, I used cable without the battery attached and let that charge just in case...

All I hear is people telling you to get lots of long lasting batteries. Is using power not as effective?
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 08:26 AM   #22
Wrangler

Please don't post links to products from non-sponsors. As far as running your camera on line power, you might want to read this thread...

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=44855
Old April 16th, 2006, 12:02 PM   #23
Major Player

Does anyone know if the 970 battery and ACV-Q1050D dual charger will work with each other? On the charger's description, it doesn't list the 970 as being compatable but it does have other same-sized batteries. I'm pretty positive it will work but I just wanted to check and be sure.

Charger: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
Battery: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I'm out of town until tomorrow and won't be able to check this until then, so thanks in advance!
Old April 16th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #24
Wrangler

I can't say for sure because I haven't used one, but it's made by Sony and says it's compatible with L series batteries. Since the 970 is relatively new, it might not be listed simply because the 960 used to be the top of the line.
Old April 16th, 2006, 12:12 PM   #25
Major Player

Thanks for the quick reply, Boyd. I think I'll call Sony tomorrow.
Old April 16th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #26
Trustee

Hawk Wood batteries rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurth Bousman
..and there's been some reports of 3rd party batteries not functioning in the z1. Probably they were ebay offerings. Kurth
But not so with Hawk Woods' batteries.

http://www.hawkwoods.com/

They work, at half the price of Sonys, and come with a free charger. Have used my collection for 6 months with absolutely no problems. Especially useful in the on-camera light.

My only wish is for a little manual switch on these pattern batts that would signify they've been used.

You'll get less than a PD150's worth out of them, but a day's shoot is two batteries, max. Collect the chargers, great for charging 3 batts overnite! :-) Have thanked the car adaptor too - left the Z1 on VTR on batts by mistake? Charge the limp Sony battery on way to location - 40 mins of backup! :-)

HTH, M.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1