best filter for a z1u ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:43 AM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat
What's the problem with pointing your camera directly into the sun?
Ever start something on fire with a magnifying glass when you were a kid? Sure, I have shot plenty of sunsets without damaging my camera. But I used external ND filters and a lot of common sense. If the sun is so bright that you wouldn't look directly into with the naked eye, then pointing your camera at it probably isn't such a good idea either...

But that has nothing to do with the point I was making about reflections and dirt degrading your image when using a filter and pointing the camera towards any light source...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:50 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Sure, I have shot plenty of sunsets without damaging my camera. But I used external ND filters and a lot of common sense.
So I shouldn't consider my UV Filter protection enough to shoot even the mildest of sunsets?
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:55 AM   #18
Wrangler

The UV filter won't help with sunsets in any way at all AFAIK. Protecting your camera from UV shouldn't be an issue. The intensity of the light and its possible damaging effects on the CCD's and other internal parts is what you need to worry about.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:00 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
The UV filter won't help with sunsets in any way at all AFAIK. Protecting your camera from UV shouldn't be an issue. The intensity of the light and its possible damaging effects on the CCD's and other internal parts is what you need to worry about.
Exactly - Unfortunately, when I purchased the filter pack, I did so under the impression that a UV filter did exactly that - protected the CCDs! I guess I was incorrect.
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:05 AM   #20
Wrangler

OK, now I understand what you meant in your earlier post about "protecting the insides of your camera." The only real "protection" you get from a UV filter is keeping dirt and scratches off the lens.

The phrase "caveat emptor" comes to mind here.... ;-)
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:10 AM   #21
Major Player

AND keeping that all so blue sky blue...
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 08:29 AM   #22
Wrangler

Do you really think a UV filter helps with that? I'm not so sure.... just now holding up a UV filter and looking out the window at the sky and I don't see any difference. A linear polarizer can help keep the sky blue under some conditions - it depends on which direction the sun is coming from however.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:08 PM   #23
Regular Crew

The documentary I am currently shooting involves a high action sport with flying inline-hockey balls, mallets, bicycles, beer and drunken riders. I never remove my UV lens when shooting this type of action.
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:42 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Lumbroso
flying inline-hockey balls, mallets, bicycles, beer and drunken riders. I never remove my UV lens when shooting this type of action.
Yes.... a Piece of glass will protect your camera from a drunken rider with a mallet on a bycile shouldting "I've got a hockey ball!!!" And all of a sudden you get his attention, and everything just goes wrong...

But seriously though, I've always belived those diagrams you are given when buying a UV filter "Before and After" pictures with a UV filter. It claims to make the sky blue when the camera thinks its pale...... But for a long time, I always just saw it as a piece of useless glass known to the professionals as the flyscreen. Also known as a "goggle" or making a camera Five Eyes...
Leo Pepingco is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1