DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   FX1 from Apple looks pretty amazing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/64050-fx1-apple-looks-pretty-amazing.html)

Robert M Wright March 31st, 2006 07:14 AM

FX1 from Apple looks pretty amazing

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...D?find=hdr-fx1

Leo Pepingco March 31st, 2006 07:24 AM

Yes.... Its an FX1.

Joking aside, even from someone not from the States, Its a great deal.... Thats about 3.9 grand AUD and I paid 4.8 grand here in Oz.

Robert M Wright March 31st, 2006 07:31 AM

I know of four people that just ordered within past last hour. At that price, they'll sell out awfully fast.

Douglas Villalba March 31st, 2006 07:34 AM

That has to be a typing error!!!

Tim Painter March 31st, 2006 07:53 AM

I just bought one myself -- I hope it comes through.

David Mintzer March 31st, 2006 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Painter
I just bought one myself -- I hope it comes through.

This is almost as big a faux pas as the time that Dell sold me a Canon L series lens for 600 dollars under the street price---I wonder if Apple will honor all orders the way Dell did.

Drew Buchanan March 31st, 2006 09:28 AM

Funny no one else seems to have that price (or anything close). I do wonder, with new cameras coming next month, could this mean something? As stated above, this would clear a lot of stock quickly. I wonder if Sony has something in the works?

Tim Painter March 31st, 2006 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Mintzer
This is almost as big a faux pas as the time that Dell sold me a Canon L series lens for 600 dollars under the street price---I wonder if Apple will honor all orders the way Dell did.

In reading the forums at Fatwallet and Slickdeals, there are a number of people claiming to have bought 10 and even 60 of them to flip on eBay. I guess we'll find out in the next couple of days. Hopefully it is not a bad aprils fools joke.

David Mintzer March 31st, 2006 09:34 AM

Quote:

In reading the forums at Fatwallet and Slickdeals, there are a number of people claiming to have bought 10 and even 60 of them to flip on eBay. I guess we'll find out in the next couple of days. Hopefully it is not a bad aprils fools joke.

I don't think they are introducing any new HDV cameras at NAB---fact is, I have heard nothing that would make one think so-- B&H sells the thing for 3000 bucks-----Good luck to all!

Jon Elam March 31st, 2006 09:50 AM

Better price for Federal or Education purchases

The price is about $90 cheaper if you use the links for Apple's educational or Gov purchases. I know that a lot of college's have direct purchase links through a school website that may also provide similar discounts.

Robert M Wright March 31st, 2006 09:56 AM

I just confirmed with Apple, on the phone, that the price is indeed legit (NOT a typo).

David Mintzer March 31st, 2006 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Elam
The price is about $90 cheaper if you use the links for Apple's educational or Gov purchases. I know that a lot of college's have direct purchase links through a school website that may also provide similar discounts.

Thats interesting. I didn't think that Apple offerred government or school discounts on hardware they dont make.

Tom Bolia March 31st, 2006 10:39 AM

Is this the best of the smaller hi-def cameras or something?

David Mintzer March 31st, 2006 11:18 AM

Its the same as their higher end camera (Z1U) accept for a few settings and lack of XLR inputs. You can go buy the Beachtek and you pretty much have the same camera that lists for 4900 at B&H.

Tim Painter March 31st, 2006 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Mintzer
Thats interesting. I didn't think that Apple offerred government or school discounts on hardware they dont make.

My employer has a discount program with them -- ended up costing me 1,916. before tax.

David Mintzer March 31st, 2006 11:45 AM

Quote:

My employer has a discount program with them -- ended up costing me 1,916. before tax.

Not that is an even better deal!!!!!

Jon Elam March 31st, 2006 12:16 PM

That is the same price for Gov employees. This link is for those who are eligible by the terms and conditions.

http://www.apple.com/itpro/federal/

links from educational sites (as well as this) can be found by searching google.

Bob Zimmerman March 31st, 2006 12:47 PM

I wonder if someone is going to be in trouble?

Vincent Rozenberg March 31st, 2006 12:51 PM

A sign that something's gonna happen at NAB @ the Sony Boot..?

Darrell Essex March 31st, 2006 12:51 PM

ok, anyone who has ordered this camera, what was the total price out the door?
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES

Drew Buchanan March 31st, 2006 12:54 PM

No one will be in trouble, but if you didn't order this morning... I'd check the shipping time. Looks like it is up to 6 or 8 weeks now. I'd say Sony definitely has something in store, hence the price drop.

David Mintzer March 31st, 2006 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Buchanan
No one will be in trouble, but if you didn't order this morning... I'd check the shipping time. Looks like it is up to 6 or 8 weeks now. I'd say Sony definitely has something in store, hence the price drop.

Thats 2143.15 out the door. No way Sony dropped the price to Apple on this----That would really piss off some of their big retail customers like B&H. This is simply a major faux pas.

Glenn Davidson March 31st, 2006 01:31 PM

If is is a mistake, Apple is covered. The fine print does say "Apple not responsible for typographic errors"

Drew Buchanan March 31st, 2006 01:32 PM

The deal is done. No more cameras from Apple. I agree that it would be a major problem, but why would Apple update the shipping time, and tell someone who called earlier in the thread that it was the legit price? It's very curious. I guess we'll know if prices fall elsewhere in the next few days. A sudden reduction of 30%, and Apple sellig their entire stock in a few hours sounds pretty fishy to me... maybe I should be hanging ou in Area 51.

Did anyone here buy one of these cameras? Did you get a shipping confirmation?

Peter Ferling March 31st, 2006 01:33 PM

What the... I'm willing to pay $1400 for an HC1, and now this shows up? I gotta take a breather. Wouldn't this do better in low light vs. the HC1?

Bora Yenal March 31st, 2006 01:44 PM

My order status says estimated shipped by April 3 and delivered by April 5. My friend just called Apple and they said they don't accept orders on FX1. I think it is a typing error and I don't know if they are going to honor all orders.

And also, I can't see the "Apple not responsible for typographic errors" on the apple store page.

Jacob Mason March 31st, 2006 01:45 PM

Couldn't pass this one up.
But what's up with the Estimated ship date on this thing???
I checked my order status with a rep and they couldn't give me specific details, but they were pretty certain it was overestimate.

Dustin Tran March 31st, 2006 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bora Yenal
My order status says estimated shipped by April 3 and delivered by April 5. My friend just called Apple and they said they don't accept orders on FX1. I think it is a typing error and I don't know if they are going to honor all orders.

And also, I can't see the "Apple not responsible for typographic errors" on the apple store page.

yeah, I just received the order acknowledgement email with the same shipping date.

Bora Yenal March 31st, 2006 02:01 PM

My friend talk to Apple for his order and they confirmed that It was a typing error and they will honor all orders.

Joe Lumbroso March 31st, 2006 02:03 PM

Dammit! I had to buy one.

Drew Buchanan March 31st, 2006 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bora Yenal
My friend talk to Apple for his order and they confirmed that It was a typing error and they will honor all orders.

Whoops! Bet there's gonna be some memos tomorrow. That was a good deal for those who got in... now I'll just have to keep dreamin' about that new Sony at NAB.

John C. Chu March 31st, 2006 02:31 PM

I can't believe I just pulled the trigger on this "deal"...

If they ship it at this price...then I'm going for it.

I'm a big supporter of B&H...but if I can get it for this price...

Anyway...ship date is unavailable.

Thanks guys[sarcasm]... it is like giving an recovering alcoholic, a drink.

Jacob Mason March 31st, 2006 02:31 PM

Well then there's conflicting reports, because I've been informed on another forum that there was confirmation from a rep that the deal was legit and would only be offered through Apple.
Interesting none the less.

John C. Chu March 31st, 2006 02:35 PM

I just got the ship date...May 15.

Looks legit.

Woo-hoo! But if B&H gets it at this price sooner--I will cancel Apple's order and get it locally from B&H.

Joe Lumbroso March 31st, 2006 02:45 PM

My ship date is May 15. I already sold it.

Matt Trubac March 31st, 2006 02:55 PM

Ordered Two

I ordered two this morning. Originally picked 2 days shipping, but then with all the speculation thought i'd call apple and try changing to overnight (ended up being $6 more for overnight) and the lady I talked to said the deal is legit and had no explanation for why they are $1000 cheaper than anybody else.

My order status lists the ship date as being April 3 (Monday) and original arrival date as being April 5. The apple rep on the phone said with the overnight I will have them tuesday April 4 now!!

Thank you Robert for looking out for all of us!

Tim Painter March 31st, 2006 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darrell Essex
ok, anyone who has ordered this camera, what was the total price out the door?
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES

114.96 Sales Tax
2,030.96 Total

I got a little nervous with the ship time, so I called them and changed the shipment to next day, which added 23.00 to it. The rep on the line said it will ship out monday at the latest for me.

Woo hoo!!

Peter Ferling March 31st, 2006 03:29 PM

As much as I'd like to jump on this, I'm standing back and going to wait. If Sony is dumping camera's just prior to NAB, I'll bite my nails until then. Then again, why would they saturate the market with these so close to NAB, wouldn't that kill off some sales of the new models? Unless the new models are all that, and I'd be kicking myself for not waiting... then again I'd be kicking myself for not getting this.. Arrrrgh! I've got two animations, three brochures, and some yard work to do.... I'm outta here.

Josh Penfold March 31st, 2006 03:41 PM

Hi all,

I found the deal and posted it on fatwallet after researching this camera quite a bit on this forum. Thanks for all the info. I ordered it on wends night when i saw the deal, and posted it on the deal site after i had my confirmation of shipping. I recieved both that i ordered today, one for me, one i sold on ebay. So far it seems to be a great camera, I used to use an xl-1. Now i just have to get used to having to buy sony batteries instead of using my stockpile of canon ones..

David Mintzer March 31st, 2006 03:44 PM

I live in the state of taxation, New York--mine was 123 and change!