FX1 audio question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 20th, 2006, 07:27 AM   #1
Trustee

FX1 audio question

I'm leaning heavily towards the FX 1 as my second camera, and also way to get started in hdv. I'm currently shooting with an XL2, and posted recently that I rented a Z1 for the weekend (I like it a lot).
My question is- With a Beechtek box (or another mixer) can I feed sperate audio to each side of the stereo? If so, I assume the levels are adjustable independently,correct?
With my XL2, I leave my shotgun on one channel, and use the other for wireless, wired lav, etc. And both channels are always seperate for post editing (which is want I want).
Will this work with the FX1?
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Bruce

No problem getting audio fed separatley to each of the channels with a Beachtek on your FX1.. I did it often... the volume controls are separate for each channel so you can balance things nicely....

Bear in mind that the Beachtek volume controls only attenuate and don't boost... this you must do on camera, which naturally covers both channels simultaneously...

Regards

Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #3
Wrangler

Also, the volume controls on the Beachtek are very coarse with click stops and are only intended to set initial levels, not to make changes as your record. The manufacturer acknowledges this in the instructions. Caveat: my comments apply to the passive adaptor I use with my VX-2000 (I think it's a DXA-4). There may be other models which have better volume controls. My beachtek doesn't provide phantom power either.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 08:25 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Gareth.
Boyd-
I have the simple Beechtek (passive), but was looking at the dx6 or dx8. The 6 is advertised as a compliment to the FX1, but I like the 8 better. It has preamps. levels, limiters and phantom. It's around $380, and should attach underneath just like the others.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 11:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Also, the volume controls on the Beachtek are very coarse with click stops and are only intended to set initial levels, not to make changes as your record. The manufacturer acknowledges this in the instructions. Caveat: my comments apply to the passive adaptor I use with my VX-2000 (I think it's a DXA-4). There may be other models which have better volume controls. My beachtek doesn't provide phantom power either.
The DXA-8 does not have the coarse click stops - it's very smooth, and it does have phantom power and limiters selectable on each channel.
Shawn Redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #6
Trustee

Shawn,
I don't think that the lack of clicks would be a problem. At least it has preamps with adjustable levels.
Bruce Yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1