Boyd, Downcoverting links? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 13th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Boyd, Downcoverting links?

many of the questions i have seem to be redundant relative to the capacity of this site...

...instead of asking another question pertaining to downcoverting HD to SD...can you post some links that might enlighten me on this process?

specifically relavant to downconversion from camera to camera...ie, Z1 to PD170 via firewire.

thanks a bunch!
Jake
Jake Latendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 08:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Jake; welcome to DVinfo! Not sure what you have in mind when you say Z1 to PD-170 via firewire. Do you want to run a firewire cable to from the Z1 to the PD-170? In order for that to work, you would have to set the Z1 to downconvert in one of its 3 modes (SQUEEZE, LETTERBOX or EDGE CROP). Squeeze gives you anamorphic 16:9 DV. Yes, you could do that and record on the PD-170 at the same time as you record HDV on the Z1. Is that what you want to do? If so, it's really as simple as setting two menu items. But you could also accomplish the same thing by simply recording HDV on the Z1, then setting one of those downconversion options and capturing as DV on your computer.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

well, i was told that i could record in HD on my Z1, then playback thru Firewire, record on my PD170, resulting in high quality SD footage??????? my producers are not editing HDV yet...

...is this true? does it even make sense? is there a better way?

I need to be able to ultimately send my producers SD footage for editing...but i want to utilize my Z1's capabilities to increase the quality of my work!

...what about it?

Last edited by Jake Latendresse; July 14th, 2006 at 06:21 AM.
Jake Latendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote: ...is this true? does it even make sense?

1) Yes. 2) Only if what you want is unedited SD footage on a miniDV tape. Otherwise, send it to your computer's firewire port instead and skip the PD170.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:24 AM   #5
Wrangler

Graham is right, and I said the same thing above. The downconverted Z1 footage does look better (a little better, not vastly better IMO) than recording in SD mode. But you don't need the second camera to accomplish this. You just record in HDV, then capture as DV when you connect the Z1 to your computer. There are menu options which allow you to do this.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

great! thanks...
Jake Latendresse is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1