FX1 Iris Control at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 19th, 2006, 03:06 AM   #1
New Boot

FX1 Iris Control

Before I recently purchased my FX1, I had been using the Panasonic DVX100. One difference that I've noticed is that I don't have much control with the iris on the FX1. I don't know, maybe I'm missing something here... but when I swith to manual iris, and turn the iris knob, it doesn't seem to change much (filming outdoors). The only time when there's a considerable difference is when i turn on the ND Filters.

Also, with the DVX100, I liked how I was able to overexpose a shot (if ever I needed to), but with the FX1, it seems that it limits me and won't let me overexpose my shot. Is this a limitation that the FX1 has, and won't let me work around it, or is there something I'm not adjusting in the menu to allow me more flexibility with iris control?

I appreciate any advice.
Chris Dumlao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 03:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Chris

Turning the iris knob should absolutely make a BIG difference to exposure and does even if you turn it a little. Filming outdoors in daylight, the FX1 should very easily be made to overexpose (especially in California :-] ).

It MAY be that the maximum iris is set to a lower figure under the picture profile you're using. Depending on the setting, the iris may only close down as far as f4 or f6.8. If you have the AT IRIS LIMIT function set to f4 then you may only have 3-4 stops range, though this affects the LOWER exposures rather than higher exposure.

But what I think is happening is that you have left the shutter speed on AUTO. As you open up the iris, the shutter is closing up to compensate. Just press the shutter button on the side of the camera (under the casette door) and you can set the shutter speed (60 is the minimum and a good setting). You should now be able to change the exposure as you want it.

If you don't see the shutter speed number in the viewfinder, then it's on automatic, and responding to changes in brightness, just as auto-iris would.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #3
Wrangler

Welcome to DVinfo Chris. I'd bet good money that Dylan is right :-) We have had several similar posts about this, and in fact the same thing confused me the first time I used my Z1. You also need to be sure that gain is set to manual. When something is set to manual (iris, shutter, gain) its value will be displayed on the LCD screen. If you don't see one of those things on the screen, then it's on auto.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #4
New Boot

Genius! That did it. I didn't realize it was as simple as pushing a button.
Chris Dumlao is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1