Hdr-fx1 First Impressions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 25th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #1
New Boot

Hdr-fx1 First Impressions

1. This is not a consumer camera. Anyone who thinks this is a consumer camera doesn't know much about consumers. I design consumer products unrelated to this and you have to keep it simple to say the least. There is a huge amount of control on this camera. A consumer does not have enough patience to learn how to operate this camera. I doubt the Sony consumer division is going to give us another one of these gems and will continue the move toward making more simplified "solutions" for the high end of the product line.

2. The camera is not heavy. I have heard people describe this camera as heavy. A camera of this size could only be lighter if it was made of some crazy exotic materials. None of us are going to pay for exotic materials. Come on folks. The chassis is already magnesium. What more do you want? Buy an HC_ or grow some muscles on those tyrannosaurus arms of yours.

3. The quality of materials is very high in this camera. The nice details remind me of the old Japanese SLR's. The parts have a tight fit and the surface texture is first class. Most of the surface finish is painted to integrate with the magnesium. I can tell you that low cost was not the goal of the designers of this fine product.
Dale Connelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #2
Wrangler

Glad you're enjoying the FX1 Dale. Sony offers a lot of bang for the buck in that camera. I'm sure you'll have a great time exploring all the options that it gives you!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:00 PM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Sony calls the FX1 a consumer camera is like calling the JVC HD10 a pro camera. Sorry, HD10 lovers (I do still own one...).

heath
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm loving mine. Glad you're liking yours...

Paul
Paul Cypert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 03:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Connelly
The chassis is already magnesium.
Is that right ?! if so, then thats really quite impressive for the monet. magnesium is NOT cheap stuff, and i must admit to being a bit surprised if the majority of the chassis is magnesium or magnesium alloy.

I'd have thought it would be mainly aluminum/alloy, but defer to your better knowledge on that.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2006, 08:57 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
Is that right ?! if so, then thats really quite impressive for the monet. magnesium is NOT cheap stuff, and i must admit to being a bit surprised if the majority of the chassis is magnesium or magnesium alloy.

I'd have thought it would be mainly aluminum/alloy, but defer to your better knowledge on that.
Yes, surprisingly it is magnesium instead of plastic. They could have really cut some $$ by going to plastic. Some people don't realize the level of value in this camera. I am amazed that it sells for so little. See the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Hdr-fx1 First Impressions-magnesium_alloy_cabinet.jpg  
Old July 28th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cypert
I'm loving mine. Glad you're liking yours...

Paul
With exception to some people who realized that it is more camera than what they need, I have never found an FX1 owner on this forum that regretted their purchase. All the critics have never owned one.
Old July 28th, 2006, 11:34 PM   #8
Trustee

Yeah I'm luving it (FX1e)!!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #9
Major Player

However, some of the critics have tested and rented.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

Wow, just the casing of the FX1! Scary looking without everything else!

heath
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:15 PM   #11
Trustee

Yes, I like my FX1 also. The reason it is called a consumer camera is because it is from the consumer division, and you don't get the same assistance from them that you do the Z1, which is from the Pro division. Try getting a replacement in a hurry because you have an important shoot and the FX1 dies. No way. But with the Z1 it could be a different experience.

In any case, it sure does the job for me. And while I am technically a consumer and not a pro when it comes to cameras (I make some money writing and editing and teaching - not shooting) I think many consumers today are willing to learn more about their fancy gadgets.
Old July 30th, 2006, 01:38 PM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
Wow, just the casing of the FX1! Scary looking without everything else!
If guys haven't seen it already, this link is also fascinating...

http://www.camcorderservice.nl/sony_fx1.htm
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 07:00 PM   #13
Regular Crew

I love the fx1. I bought it about a year ago and havnt had a hint of buyer's remorse
Mack Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #14
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
If guys haven't seen it already, this link is also fascinating...

http://www.camcorderservice.nl/sony_fx1.htm
Do NOT try that at home!

heath
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:13 AM   #15
New Boot

I've owned my FX-1 for five months and love it. I've only ever used the $15 Sony "high-definition" tapes to record HDV footage (about 30 tapes total so far), and I have yet to experience a single drop-out.

*quickly knocks on wood*
Christopher Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1