FX1 Questions - need a few answers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 29th, 2006, 04:43 PM   #1
Trustee

FX1 Questions - need a few answers

I have a video that is coming up - and a few questions to go along with it .

1) Should I over or under expose for the FX1 (interview/talking head shots)? I really don't want to have to reshoot the Talk/Heads video, so hopefully I will get it right the first time...

2) What is the Thread size for the FX1, I have some 52mm Skylight, Polarizing filters I might want to use with the camera

3) Is Optical stabilization automatically on?

4) I usually use Zooming infinity and focusing on hair to get a focus, is this a good method with the FX1?

Thanks in advance.
David Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2006, 05:17 PM   #2
Wrangler

1. Use the zebra patterns. Actually, I was just playing with a new monitor today and comparing the zebra to what I saw on the HD screen. My Z1 handles overexposure surprisingly well. I have always set it at 100 IRE, but after experimenting today I kicked it up to the 100+ setting (not sure if the FX1 has this?). At that setting it was much more accurate as to what the monitor could tolerate. While set at 100 IRE the entire sky was showing zebra but the monitor still showed blue areas.

2. It's 72mm so I don't think your old filters are going to be much use...

3. You can turn stabilization on and off in the menus. You can also program it into one of the user buttons to make it easy to control without accessing any menus.

4. Why not? You can also use focus assist which magnifies the center of the image on the LCD and viewfinder. Peaking is another way to help with focus. But it can be tough to get good focus on any of the inexpensive HD cameras. Of course, if you're downconverting for DVD then it will be less of an issue. The LCD screen is actually quite good for focus in regular DV mode.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1