DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Picking up new Z1. What should I check? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/72578-picking-up-new-z1-what-should-i-check.html)

Nick Hope July 30th, 2006 12:40 AM

Picking up new Z1. What should I check?

I'm picking up a new Z1P from a shop in Bangkok. What things should I check before I hand over the cash?

Nick

Boyd Ostroff July 30th, 2006 07:42 AM

Since you're in Thailand I have no idea what issues this raises. But as a general principle, only buy from authorized Sony dealers. You should be able to check out the shop on Sony's website. There have been reports that Sony will not honor the warranty unless the camera was bought from an authorized dealer. The Z1 comes from Sony's professional division, and there are fewer authorized dealers for these cameras than the consumer models.

Aside from that, I think you just have to trust that the store is selling you a new camera in good condition, and that they will stand behind it if there's a problem. Here in the US DVinfo has screened a list of sponsors so our members can buy with confidence. Unfortunately, you're on your own over there so as they say "caveat emptor."

Good luck with the purchase!

Nick Hope July 30th, 2006 02:29 PM

Thanks Boyd. I've done my homework and this dealer seems OK. I was thinking more of a checklist of physical things to check on the camera like focussing and so on. The things most likely to not be working correctly. I think I've seen something like this years ago, probably for something like a VX2000, but I can't find it again.

Mark Utley July 30th, 2006 03:09 PM

The only thing I can think of to check would be the hours meter (open the menu, scroll down to the Others section, scroll down to Hours Meter).

Khoi Pham July 30th, 2006 03:13 PM

I would check for any dead pixels from the CCD and the LCD, keep the lens cover and turn on the camera and leave it in automatic mode, the gain should auto gain up to 18db so you can check for any dead pixels.
Put a fresh tape in and tape a little bit and make sure you don't hear any funny sounds for the tape transport, if not take it home and enjoy it. (-:

Boyd Ostroff July 30th, 2006 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoi Pham
I would check for any dead pixels from the CCD and the LCD

Well you could certainly check the LCD that way, but the screen is probably not high enough resolution to indicate a bad CCD pixel.

I guess it never hurts to be safe, and there are plenty of exhaustive tests you can do, although the store may be reluctant to let you get into that kind of detail while a salesman is standing around waiting for you to purchase. That's why I suggested choosing a dealer you trust. Make sure the unit is sealed in the box with no obvious damage. Then you should be able to take the camera home and do extensive testing. If you chose a good dealer, they will respond to any problems you might encounter after the purchase.

I'm not aware of any common defects which show up immediately after taking a Z1 out of the box (as compared with some other cameras where you need to check the serial number to see if a certain problem was fixed). Here in the US, I didn't think twice about walking out of B&H Photo with my new Z1 in hand and bringing it back home to check out.

Your mileage may vary... :-)