Picking up new Z1. What should I check? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 30th, 2006, 12:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Picking up new Z1. What should I check?

I'm picking up a new Z1P from a shop in Bangkok. What things should I check before I hand over the cash?

Nick
Nick Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #2
Wrangler

Since you're in Thailand I have no idea what issues this raises. But as a general principle, only buy from authorized Sony dealers. You should be able to check out the shop on Sony's website. There have been reports that Sony will not honor the warranty unless the camera was bought from an authorized dealer. The Z1 comes from Sony's professional division, and there are fewer authorized dealers for these cameras than the consumer models.

Aside from that, I think you just have to trust that the store is selling you a new camera in good condition, and that they will stand behind it if there's a problem. Here in the US DVinfo has screened a list of sponsors so our members can buy with confidence. Unfortunately, you're on your own over there so as they say "caveat emptor."

Good luck with the purchase!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 02:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Boyd. I've done my homework and this dealer seems OK. I was thinking more of a checklist of physical things to check on the camera like focussing and so on. The things most likely to not be working correctly. I think I've seen something like this years ago, probably for something like a VX2000, but I can't find it again.
Nick Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #4
Major Player

The only thing I can think of to check would be the hours meter (open the menu, scroll down to the Others section, scroll down to Hours Meter).
Old July 30th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #5
Major Player

I would check for any dead pixels from the CCD and the LCD, keep the lens cover and turn on the camera and leave it in automatic mode, the gain should auto gain up to 18db so you can check for any dead pixels.
Put a fresh tape in and tape a little bit and make sure you don't hear any funny sounds for the tape transport, if not take it home and enjoy it. (-:
Old July 30th, 2006, 03:57 PM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham
I would check for any dead pixels from the CCD and the LCD
Well you could certainly check the LCD that way, but the screen is probably not high enough resolution to indicate a bad CCD pixel.

I guess it never hurts to be safe, and there are plenty of exhaustive tests you can do, although the store may be reluctant to let you get into that kind of detail while a salesman is standing around waiting for you to purchase. That's why I suggested choosing a dealer you trust. Make sure the unit is sealed in the box with no obvious damage. Then you should be able to take the camera home and do extensive testing. If you chose a good dealer, they will respond to any problems you might encounter after the purchase.

I'm not aware of any common defects which show up immediately after taking a Z1 out of the box (as compared with some other cameras where you need to check the serial number to see if a certain problem was fixed). Here in the US, I didn't think twice about walking out of B&H Photo with my new Z1 in hand and bringing it back home to check out.

Your mileage may vary... :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1