HDR-FX1 stills from recent shoot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 15th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDR-FX1 stills from recent shoot

Hello all...

Please accept my apology if this isn't the right forum to post...didn't know if this one or the "Show your work" forum would be more appropriate.

Anyway, I wanted to share some HD stills from a recent video shoot I did down around Coos Bay, OR a few weeks ago. I do event videography in the Seattle area and recently migrated all of my DV equipment to HDV (the FX1 to be exact) and this was my first location shoot with the new camera.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5880964...7594235737072/
(if you click on each still, then click on "All Sizes" you can see a 1280x800 sized version of the image)

The environment in the area we were shooting was very hostile - constant 25mph winds, sand/surf spraying around, cloud cover changing every 15mins (from clear to 100% fog)....I'm surprised no sand got into the camera (it got into just about everything else!) BTW, the images have had the contrast cranked a bit, and the Magic Bullet vignette filter applied.
Old August 15th, 2006, 02:43 PM   #2
Wrangler

Those are very nice! Reminds me a bit of some shots I did on the beach in New Jersey several years ago, although they were standard definition with the Sony PDX-10. It really is a challenge to shoot out on the beach with the sand blowing everywhere! My tripod and camera actually blew over when I left them unattended for a few seconds.

http://www.greenmist.com/trovatore/film/20030812/
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Glad you like the shots Boyd! Wow, the wind must have been even worse during your shoot if your camera blew over. I liked the shots/angles in your production (those some day-for-night shots too?)

On a side note, I was really hoping to shoot the footage with the SGpro 35mm adapter, but didn't make it to me in time, so I had to get the best DoF I could with the base camera.
Old August 15th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Nanto
(those some day-for-night shots too?)
Actually those were night-for-night shots - it was really quite dark and I shot at 1/30 sec shutter and +18dB gain :-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I like the shots! FX1/Z1u users need to start posting more of their work every other camera forum has tons of stills. I wanna see what everyone is doing.
Mack Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2006, 05:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Wow, those are some very nice stills Aaron, i pulled a few from a short film was shooting and was extremely impressed with them, will see if i can find them and post them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
My tripod and camera actually blew over when I left them unattended for a few seconds.
Funnily enough on that same short film we were shooting on a rather windy beach. I left my z1 on its sticks for to grab something out of my backpack and down they went. Luckily enough they were in a Kata rain jacket and it was also on the left side of the camera with no LCD open so there was no chance of damaging that, the mic holder, or getting sand anywhere.

I've learnt though, haven't left my camera on sticks on their own since, no matter what the shooting condition.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #7
MPS Digital Studios

Very cool stuff, guys! Boyd brings up a good point--never leave your camera unattended on a tripod! I teach my students to watch out for that, esp. if an actor or crewmember is walking around. Don't want to accidently bump it.

heath
Old September 14th, 2006, 03:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

feedback wanted

any feedback would be nice! any

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1