FX1 Resolution in DV Wide record mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 18th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #1
New Boot

FX1 Resolution in DV Wide record mode

Does anyone know if the FX1 uses the entire resolution of the sensors when shooting in the Dv Wide mode ? Or does it possibly crop off the sides and bottom to fill a 720/480 frame ?
Thank you, Chris...
Chris Sabold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:12 AM   #2
Major Player

I'll guess it's the same as the Z1, which uses the same source image as HDV for DV, it just downscales the image from the sensor and encodes it to DV rather than HDV. i.e if you were to shoot the same angle in DV and HDV, the frame composition would be exactly the same.
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:51 AM   #3
MPS Digital Studios

Last I checked, it was still widescreen, though you can downconvert both HDV and DV to 4:3. It's pretty cool. But, I'd shoot in HDV widescreen, edit it that way, then down-convert to DV before going to tape--it's much higher quality.

heath
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath McKnight
Last I checked, it was still widescreen, though you can downconvert both HDV and DV to 4:3. It's pretty cool. But, I'd shoot in HDV widescreen, edit it that way, then down-convert to DV before going to tape--it's much higher quality.
Wouldn't HDV files be much larger?
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:13 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez
Wouldn't HDV files be much larger?
Nope, one of the benefits of HDV is that it manages to pack HD resolution into the same data rate and file size as DV. There are some trade-offs from doing this due to the heavy compression involved, but under most circumstances HDV looks great on an HDTV compared to DV footage of the same scene.
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

Kevin is right, HDV, native, is around 3.6 mb per second, like DV. That's how they fit it onto a mini-dv tape.

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1