MiniDV tape in HDV mode? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 24th, 2006, 06:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

MiniDV tape in HDV mode?

hey guys. is it true that you can use MiniDV in HDV mode in the Z1 and get HD quality on playback??
Dennis Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 06:28 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Cummins
hey guys. is it true that you can use MiniDV in HDV mode in the Z1 and get HD quality on playback??
If you are talking about using regular MiniDV tapes in the camera for HDV, then yes it is true. You do not need special tapes, they are just used to record 1's 0's, that's it.

Mike
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Wow i never knew that. what sthe point in paying twic as much for a HD tape then?? is their any difference?? also if i record in HD mode will i be able to burn it on to DVD?
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:11 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Wow i never knew that. what sthe point in paying twic as much for a HD tape then?? is their any difference?? also if i record in HD mode will i be able to burn it on to DVD?
They have to make money too you know. The more expensive tapes are supposed to be made with more stingent qualitly control, etc, but it is basically the same tape inside. And, you can't put HD on a DVD unless you get one of the very new very expensive HD DVD burners. But the price will come down soon I think.

Mike
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:37 AM   #5
Regular Crew

but can i not burn it to DVD and get normal DVD quality?
Old August 24th, 2006, 07:39 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
but can i not burn it to DVD and get normal DVD quality?
Yes you can. Footage shot in HD on that camera then downrezzed to SD is beautiful. You will love it. Then you can still save your HD footage and later make a DVD of it.

Mike
Old August 24th, 2006, 08:11 AM   #7
Regular Crew

great! Mike one last question if i may. when i digitize into Final cut 5 will it remain HD?
Old August 24th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
great! Mike one last question if i may. when i digitize into Final cut 5 will it remain HD?

I have no idea about what Final Cut or your system can handle. With most systems you need special software to capture HD. Like I said though, just downrez to SD out of the camera, and edit it that way.

Mike
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:44 PM   #9
New Boot

..the latest version of Final Cut ( and Final Cut Express ) is HD ready. Just import your footage and you're away. Even Apple's iMovie is HD ready. Works a treat.

I've only had my Z1 for a couple of weeks and I just love it.
Lee Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 03:34 PM   #10
Major Player

Hd-dvd

if you have the latest version of dvd studio pro you can burn HD-DVD on a standard DVD and play it back on the toshiba player. it is only 4.7 gb worth, but it works.
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 02:06 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
I have no idea about what Final Cut or your system can handle. With most systems you need special software to capture HD. Like I said though, just downrez to SD out of the camera, and edit it that way.

Mike
How do you "downrez" it on the camera?
Old August 25th, 2006, 05:13 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
There r differences. I sued Panasonic Pro DV tapes and I get some "black lines" sometimes. I have not got that with the Sony HDV tapes.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:54 AM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Having just been burned by this ability to use any tape..... yes, there is a difference. The tape may be technically the same but the quality control is much higher on the HD marketed version. That point is driven home by the numbers of drop outs you get. While a drop out in miniDV mode isn't "too" bad, that same drop out in HDV is a major hit because of the way the info is recorded on the tape.

If what you're shooting is important, use the better tape. You can't easily make up for HDV drop outs in the edit room.

t
Tom Tanquary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I was a die-hard on exclusively using the expensive HDV tapes until recently. I more or less was forced to start using regular MinDV tapes in my FX1 due to simple economics and convenience. I was going through 5-6 tapes per week, and I simply couldn't afford to pay 2 to 3 times the price for the expensive tapes. Furthermore, when you run out and are in a pinch, you have to order them in advance as they are not sold in stores anywhere, at least nowhere I have seen. Nonetheless, I really didn't want to make the switch. But one day earlier this winter, I ran out of the HDV tapes and had no choice but either use a regular MiniDV tape or miss the shots. It worked just fine. That was all it took.

I have recorded some 50 or so regular MiniDV tapes on the FX1 without a single dropout or problem. I have come to trust them completely, and to me it now makes no practical and economic sense to pay the very high difference for the HDV tapes. I'm using the Sony premiums (around $2.00 each when bought in bulk), the same tapes I've always used in the VX2100 and TRV900.

I use a tape once, capture the needed material, then file the tape away in storage. I faithfully and meticulously (some may say obsessively) index and back up the m2ts on multiple hard drives, and have never had to go back to a tape for any reason. This and the fact that I never re-use a tape make the standard MiniDV tapes the best solution.
Dan Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
How do you "downrez" it on the camera?
I don't have the camera, but if it is like others, and I think it is, you can output SD when capturing via firewire.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1