What Telextenders Do You Use with HD Camcorders? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 8th, 2006, 05:00 AM   #1
Major Player

What Telextenders Do You Use with HD Camcorders?

Is there a good telextender that has enough resolution to use with the FX1 and Z1? Are the ones that are sold by Sony really sharp enough to do the job? How does this question apply to telexes for high-MP still cameras? Are there some telex models that could be used for both HD-video and high-MP stills?
J. Stephen McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I have FX1, and have used Sony's VCL-HG1758 1.7 teleextender on it. I needed a step down ring to match the threads. It works decently, I think. Of course, it will not zoom wide, however, as severe vignetting will occur on the wide setting. Picture is decent, considering it was originally designed for lower definition specs.
Old September 8th, 2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Wrangler

See the links I posted in this recent thread as they cover your questions:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=75010

If using a step down ring, be sure to test for vignetting using a monitor that shows the full frame. The Z1 has allscan mode for this but the FX1 does not. Every consumer HD screen I've seen also overscans and doesn't show the full frame. Looking at the footage on your computer should show the full frame.

Vignetting may also show up as a darkening of the image towards the corners instead of actually chopping the corners off. Depending on what you're shooting this might or might not be obvious.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2006, 08:35 AM   #4
Trustee

We're using the Century Optics tele-extender on our Z1 and FX1.
It does a good job within the range of 50 to 100 on the Z1's zoom scale. Go below 50 (or the halfway bar on the FX1) and serious vignetting will occur.
I like the bayonet fitting with this lens - much better than having to screw/unscrew an attachment.
Using this degree on magnification really shows up the deficiencies of cheap pan and tilt head combos like the 503/525 however. You really do need good solid tripod legs and a decent head if you want smooth, steady moves at full telephoto.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1