Just bought an HDR-FX1... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 11th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Just bought an HDR-FX1...

Got a great price for the camera and a bunch of accessories. Here's what came with the unit...

2 PRO 88w VHF Wireless Microphone Systems with a horseshoe to mount right onto the camera, a wireless lav., a Dual DXA-4 XLR Adapter by BeachTek, a Bescor 6 volt DC Light, an extra Sony battery and charger, a Sony Shoulder Stabalizer (VCT-FXA), the Sony VCT-870RM Remote Control Tri-Pod, and a Sony Soft Shoulder Camera Bag.

Anything else I should be looking to pick up to make my life easier? I'm mostly using this rig to shoot political commercials.

I am considering both the Red Rock M2 and the Cinevate Revis. Not sure which one would be better for my application. With the both of these systems, do you need a rail system or can they be used without the support?
Jason Michael Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Michael Holly
I'm mostly using this rig to shoot political commercials.

I am considering both the Red Rock M2 and the Cinevate Revis. Not sure which one would be better for my application.
Congratulations on the new camera Jason! Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but why would you need a 35mm adaptor to shoot political commercials?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
Congratulations on the new camera Jason! Forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but why would you need a 35mm adaptor to shoot political commercials?
I could see the need to have that "film" Depth of field feeling in political commercial. You know, the flag waiving out of focus in the background, the candidate singled out walking ahead of a crowd along with follow focus.
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:10 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Boyd and Chris,

Chris hit the nail on the head. Decent sized political campaigns (House/Senate, Gubernatorial, Presidential) almost demand film for their shoots, but are willing to experiment with other media that has that same look. The "film look" gives a campaign a sense of legitimacy, seperates the pretenders from the contenders.

Some of my favorite work was done by a company called Stevens, Reed, Curcio, and Potholm...if you take a look at their intro reel you will see amazing quality, most shot on 35mm, and very theatrical. I crave a shallow DOF, rich colors, and captivating imagery to put together a spot that cuts through the smoke of advertising that accompanies the typical political season.

Check this out: http://www.srcpmedia.com

Looking for a quality solution for DOF, have been hearing a lot about the Brevis, 35M by Redrock, and others....I am admittedly nowhere near the level of knowledge that most are on this board and looking for the advice of you well informed folks.

I'm also in the market for a quality jib boom.
Jason Michael Holly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 08:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Jason the Brevis does not require rails, although if you plan on using really long lenses, a follow focus, or matte box, they're essential. I've got some cinema lenses coming for the unit (including a heavy 28mm T1.2 lens) that will require rails to avoid excessive torque loads to the filter threads.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 10:28 AM   #6
Trustee

Jason, for your line of work I wouldn't trust your image to anything other than the Brevis or the Redrock M2. Both are workhorses and can stand up to a lot--the Brevis more so, however. That thing is a tank and produces consistant images, something I think is very important. The M2 doesn't attach directly to the camcorder and requires rails, and is a little more bulky. The Brevis screws on so you get the same image every time. I love my Brevis with my FX1. They're meant to be together. Trust me, if you're willing to invest, the Brevis is the way to go.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1