FX1 / Z1 It was better to wait ! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 12th, 2006, 10:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

FX1 / Z1 It was better to wait !

Well guys some of you might remember the thread a few days ago discussing if it would be better to wait for new models or to buy a Z1/FX1 at that time.
Some said that it would take ages for some to release a new model and other believed that they would respond to Canon's new models. The thread even had to me moderated as it got a bit "out of focus"...
Anyway, they've just announced the new versions:
http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/...f96467dd63a5-3
Seems that it was good to wait, then!
Pedro Paiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:04 PM   #2
Major Player

I think you posted the wrong link but yep, it was good to wait. There's a forum for the FX7/V1 cameras here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/forumdisplay.php?f=140
Old September 12th, 2006, 11:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Paiva
Well guys some of you might remember the thread a few days ago discussing if it would be better to wait for new models or to buy a Z1/FX1 at that time.
Some said that it would take ages for some to release a new modelSeems that it was good to wait, then!
I have on numerous occassions pointed out that Sony have no plans for A REPLACEMENT for the Z1 at the moment.
That is still true.
The new cameras that you are referring to are NEW cameras in their own "slot". Neither of them is a "REPLACEMENT" for the Z1.

Sony releases consumer models quite often. Sometimes they are to fill a gap, sometimes they are just to test the market.
But on the Pro side they have a very definite workflow - and that does not include "replacing" existing models on a daily basis (slight exaggeration....smile)
Pro cameras have a production line that is reckoned on turning out cameras for AT LEAST 4 years at a time.

There is a big difference in "replacing" camera models and introducing new models.
Old September 13th, 2006, 03:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Douglas.

Do you really think the new fx7 camera is not intended to replace the FX1?
Why wouldn't i t be? 3 CMOS sounds like a natural "evolution"...

I went to have a look on your website gaijin-eyes.com but unfortunately couldn't open any of the movie files as they are only available in (argh) .wmv format. I don't know about (argh again!) windows but WMP for Mac really sucks. Besides the bad video quality it's just impossible to control playback.
Hope you consider providing Quicktime files in the future as I'm sure your videos are really good and many mac users would love to see them.
Cheers.
PP
Pedro Paiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 06:08 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Douglas.

Do you really think the new fx7 camera is not intended to replace the FX1?
PP
Hello Pedro,
Did I mention the FX1 in my post above?
Nope...I mentioned the Z1.

But with all the Z's, X's, H's, V's etc. flying around these days.....it is easy to misread camera model abbreviations.

regards,
Douglas
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Douglas.
I went to have a look on your website gaijin-eyes.com but unfortunately couldn't open any of the movie files as they are only available in (argh) .wmv format. I don't know about (argh again!) windows but WMP for Mac really sucks. Besides the bad video quality it's just impossible to control playback.
Hope you consider providing Quicktime files in the future as I'm sure your videos are really good and many mac users would love to see them.
Cheers.
PP
There's a good plug-in for QT so you can play .wmv's on the Mac, can't remember what it's called (on my other machine) but you can get it at the Apple website.

FYI, bad video quality doesn't mean Windows Media is bad, it means that video is bad; you can actually get some surprisingly nice web video compression in windows media.

My preferred method is Flash (.flv) however.
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hill
There's a good plug-in for QT so you can play .wmv's on the Mac, can't remember what it's called (on my other machine) but you can get it at the Apple website.

FYI, bad video quality doesn't mean Windows Media is bad, it means that video is bad; you can actually get some surprisingly nice web video compression in windows media.

Thanks for the feedback, Benjamin.
QT, Media Player, Flash etc. They all have their pluses and minuses. Most people find one that works for them and then stick to it. But that is not always the best way - as the software companies are always leapfrogging each other.......

Here is a link to the MAC version of MediaPlayer. It will co-exist with QT...

If you want to watch .wmv files on Mac and do not already have the
Windows Media player for Mac, you can download it for free at

English:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win.../download.aspx

Japanese:
http://www.microsoft.com/japan/windo...d/default.aspx
Old September 13th, 2006, 08:57 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Douglas.

Cheers.
PP
Sorry I just posted a link to the WMP for MAC download. I hadn't noticed you had already tried it.
I have also encoded some QT files and even Flash movies, but at the moment I find that I am getting the best results with WMP.
I do intend having a QT alternative available later........ but as you know "later" can usually mean in 6 months or more.............. smile
Old September 13th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #9
Trustee

Hi Douglas. My past results with encoding to QT on PC were pretty dire, but recently I downloaded the Avid QT codec set for windows. Much much better. You can get them at the link below (the zip file at the bottom of the page).

Richard

http://www.avid.com/onlineSupport/su...contentID=3555
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 09:06 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the link, Richard.

I will give it a try at a later date.
Old September 14th, 2006, 10:09 AM   #11
Major Player

FX1 is, apparently, going to be allowed to die, Z1 continues on.
This info is from the Sony guys at IBC show. It may well still be available for some time, perhaps well into 2007 (a guess) due to unsold stock. My firm guess is production of FX1 actually ceased sometime ago.

FX7 and V1 are the new HDV machines as we know.
So it's reasonable to say that Sony are viewing the FX7 as the replacement model for the FX1 but NOT the Z1. V1 and Z1 will run alongside each other. V1 is essentially an HDV 'equivalent' of the excellent PD170.

FX7's price is broadly similar to FX1, neatly filling a gap there between the A1 and the Z1. (A1 and Z1 are from the pro division of Sony, FX1 and FX7 from the consumer division etc).
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:42 PM   #12
Major Player

"FX7 and V1 are the new HDV machines as we know.
So it's reasonable to say that Sony are viewing the FX7 as the replacement model for the FX1 but NOT the Z1. V1 and Z1 will run alongside each other. V1 is essentially an HDV 'equivalent' of the excellent PD170."

Except, apparently, the great lowlight performance has been left behind. Which was the main selling point of the PD170 for many customers.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 05:44 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Flip4Mac Plays WMV in Quicktime On MAC

Flip4Mac Plays WMV in Quicktime On MAC

Here's link
http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm
Version 2.1 works on both PPC and Intel Macs and gives you full frame by frame control over the WMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hill

Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 12:25 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lammey
Except, apparently, the great lowlight performance has been left behind. Which was the main selling point of the PD170 for many customers.
Totally agree the PD170 & Vx2100 are in a class of their own on lowlight. I think it's doubtful whether we'll ever see an HDV camcorder (at reasonable money) from any manufacturer with lowlight performance like the PD170/VX2100. Bit of a shame but HDV is different.

I agree for sure it would have been nice to see lowlight closer to PD170, but the specs only tell part of the story, so i think really we'll just have to wait for the full reviews to see how it manages.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #15
Contributor

This new camera only has 1/4" chips. I don't see how it could be considered a replacement for the FX1. Unless...it's cheaper to manufacture, which it probably is. Newer doesn't always mean better--it often only means more profitable for the manufacturer.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1