Which films have been shot with the Z1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 19th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #16
New Boot

One thing I do quite a bit is transfer to 24 frame in DVfilm then run it back through and convert to NTSC take this copy and layer it over original 60i in your time line. Once you do this you have tons of control.You can change the opacity of the 24 frame according to the motion going on at different times. I have found you can really smooth out the film look Plus you can also color correct the 60i different than the 24 frame. Play wiyh it and I think you will be suprised at what your results will be. Besides the filmic movement, you dont lose resolution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witzke View Post
I'm with you boyd..... I don't think I've ever researched a subject so much in my life.

I have a z1.... and a fx1 ( stays on a merlin ) and since the fx1 won't record 50i, it's kept me from wanting to shoot at 50i on the z1.....

Viewing both 24cf/30cf on my 720p projector looks soft to me.... ok for closeup shots, but wide shots fall apart in comparison to 60i.

Viewing 60i that's been "smart deinterlaced" with nattress ( with 24 or 30 fps checked in the plugin ) looks much sharper and cleaner.....

lucky for me I do my post on a macpro with raid and 4GB of ram..... still takes a while but.... if I were to have a slower machine I might be more tempted to use the 30CF mode and loos the rez.

I've even been tempted to seel both cans to get a jvchd100..... but the bad lens CA bothers me..... so I'm hanging tight and trying to get it into my head that 60i is'nt a bad thing.
Michael Frkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:40 AM   #17
Major Player

dude.... I did the layer thing and your right... very nice! thanks for the tip!
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:47 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Interested to hear what everyone else is using.
In spite of all the opinions for it, I don't think 60i is a good choice for a project that will be transferred to film. I believe 50i should be the choice.

Several reasons:

1) Converting 50 fields in 25 frames would be smoother. There's no combination of fields to be made by any software, according to the scene or whatever.

2) This should translate in less aberrations and less lab time, which ultimately means a smaller lab bill.

3) If you still want to go to 24 frames, which would demand an audio speed correction too, the correction is small and shouldn't provide visible problems in the image.

We did do some tests some weeks ago with a Z1, which were then transferred to film. Both from 60i and 50i.

After watching the film I can say this: those images coming from the PAL tape were much better than those coming from NTSC, very noticeable in pan movements and even subject movement. Even if I think those 60i flickering aberrations can be further corrected, they would demand more video handling.

In that test we also tested underexposure and gain settings, even going up to 18dB gain, because of some very dark situations we should be involved in. During those tests, lights were turned on, so we could also see overexposure.

I can tell you results were quite remarkable for both ends, even if some more tests should be made.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1