rain/sand/salt protection for my Z1 - what to do? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 8th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #1
Major Player

rain/sand/salt protection for my Z1 - what to do?

I have a wedding coming up that is happening on a surf beach.

I am a little worried. I've seen those plastic-bag looking rain-covers for the Z1 but I don't see how they work and I don't see that they protect the lens in the slightest...

Are they worthwhile or just a bit of a gimmick?

Just looking out over the beach you can see all the salt and stuff floating through the air just looking for a perfectly good camera to destroy... I don't see how the rain covers can thoroughly protect you.

Is there any safe way for me to take my Z1 to the shorefront without it getting sand and salt inside it? No wedding is worth wrecking the camera for.

Thanks for your help,
-- John.
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #2

A seal skin with a UV filter should be fine for you. Beach and MotoX are somewhat similar when it comes to destroying a cam, and we're using the Z1 for MotoX pretty regularly. We keep it covered with a SealSkin, and have UV filter on the lens threads, plus the standard Sony hood with a small flag on top held in place by Velcro. Works great for keeping the mud and wet off the camcorder.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Major Player

Agree with DSE. Use a UV filter to protect front of lens.
I have shot quite a bit or marine stuff or stuff on a beach with reasonably big waves and there's almost always ultra-fine salt mist in the air that is not even visible bit can and will gt on your lens surface. UV filter will at least make it less 'stressful' to clean...

Also Portabrace (www.portabrace.com) make some good wet weather / cold weather camera protective covers. Take a wander over to that site for the details.

cheers
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #4
New Boot

Seal Skin

What is Seal Skin?
John Lutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #5
Major Player

another thing to do is to load your tapes away from the beach, then seal around the tape door with some masking tape or similar, to prevent any sand particles from getting inside
Paul Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 01:24 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks everyone for your advice. The only one that is beyond me is what Douglas Spotted Eagle said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
A seal skin with a UV filter should be fine for you... plus the standard Sony hood with a small flag on top held in place by Velcro.
I have a UV filter attached permenantly, but what is seal skin? What is the hood? What is a small flag?

Please forgive my ignorance; and I thank you once again.

-- John.
John Hewat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 03:35 AM   #7

Seal Skin is a brand name of a camera cover.
A flag is a bit of metal, plastic, or cardboard that covers the upper portion of the lens hood blocking out direct light.
A hood is a rubber or plastic bit that "wraps" the front of the lens, ostensibly doing the same thing as a flag, but not nearly as large. AFAIK, every camcorder ships with one.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #8
Inner Circle

If you do get lots of salt spray on a camera you should wipe it clean using a salt neutralising solution (from scuba and windsurf outlets) or a solution of 1 part vinegar to 20 parts water (the vinegar neutralises the corrosive properties of the salt). If salt gets onto the aluminium alloy it will corrode it and once it gets in there it will continue to eat away at the alloy forever! You end up with a load of white dust at the ends of the alloy castings.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1