Connecting Z1... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 29th, 2006, 06:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Connecting Z1...

What is the deal with the Z1 and its inability to be recognized by computers?

I have used 2 different Z1 cameras and both have a hard time being recognized by my computer via firewire. Once in a great while the cameras do get recognized but the inconsistency in ridiculous.

I browsed through similar topics and I have Win XP SP2, I have it set to VCR HDV, and downconvert off, restarting my CPU doesn’t work. I even tried downconvert on and other combinations but none seem to work consistently.

I would appreciate any advice on this issue?

Thank You
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Riggs
What is the deal with the Z1 and its inability to be recognized by computers?

I have used 2 different Z1 cameras and both have a hard time being recognized by my computer via firewire. Once in a great while the cameras do get recognized but the inconsistency in ridiculous.

I browsed through similar topics and I have Win XP SP2, I have it set to VCR HDV, and downconvert off, restarting my CPU doesn’t work. I even tried downconvert on and other combinations but none seem to work consistently.

I would appreciate any advice on this issue?

Thank You
Have you tried a different camera/cable/firewire port? The only reason I ask is, the camera is more or less just a set of electrical charges. I have this freaky thing with my firewire card that if I am capturing to the card, then my monitor (also on the same firewire card) will not show up. It's weird, but it's a computer issue. Try a different computer even. I doubt it's the camera. Just me .012
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I'll give it a go on another CPU. I just a little surprised because I have never had a problem like this with a DV cam.
Joe Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 09:32 AM   #4
Wrangler

I've never seen any Z1 issues on the Mac platform. I suspect this has more to do with Windows drivers and/or your NLE software. The fact that two different cameras gave the same results with your computer would seem to reinforce that theory...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #5

Never seen an issue on the PC platform or Mac platform, either one. I'd look at cable or NLE issues as well.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #6
Trustee

With my WinXP SP2 system, the only times I've had that issue, I've found one of the settings to be off:
For HDV-
Camera has to be set for HDV firewire output
Need to have an HDV project open in the NLE (Premiere Pro in my case)
Need to have the appropriate Device Control setting in the NLE
For DV
Camera set for HDV>DV firewire output
DV Project in NLE
Appropriate Device Control setting

I switch back and forth between HDV and DV projects and occasionally get the "no device online" message when I open the capture window. It is always been due to a left over setting in the wrong format. I have a Z1, a Sony A1U, and the M15U deck. None required any driver installation or other special attention, and all have worked reliably with my system from day one.
Hope this helps.
Robert Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

It happened to me when I first connected the Z1U to my desktop (older AMD PC) running XP with no service packs whatsoever and PPRO 1.5. Had to google a little utility that took care of it.

My Sony Vaio Intel P4 laptop (XP with service packs up to date and PPRO 2.0) took it first time I connected it, no questions asked.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1