binaural microphones with Beachtek? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 8th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #1
New Boot

binaural microphones with Beachtek?

I've had problems with attenuation when recording loud concerts with my FX1 no matter what I set the manual audio controls. I just got a low budget stealth audio recording rig, Church mics, preamp and a Nomad Jukebox 3. Have anyone recorded a show by hooking the binaural microphones to a Beachtek unit with the FX1?
Norman Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:10 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Reid
I've had problems with attenuation when recording loud concerts with my FX1 no matter what I set the manual audio controls. I just got a low budget stealth audio recording rig, Church mics, preamp and a Nomad Jukebox 3. Have anyone recorded a show by hooking the binaural microphones to a Beachtek unit with the FX1?

I am not too familiar with the FX1 controls, but if the concert is too loud you might be distorting the mic.

If you are not you can try several ways to attenuate it, even going in at line levels, if the mic output is high enough.

You list a lot of equipment, so I am not sure what you are using. What Church mics are those? What preamp is that? Are you using the Nomad for what?

Between the Beachtek and the camera levels you should get to a good attenuation.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:09 PM   #3
New Boot

Church Audio is the brand for the mics and preamp. In the past, I've just used the on board mic from the camera. The camera does not have a control for attenuation.

I was asking if anyone have tried using binaural microphones in lieu of the camera mic and if so, did it improve the sound and solve the distortion problem. I'm planning to test it, but didn't want to reinvent the wheel if someone had experience with it.
Norman Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Reid
Church Audio is the brand for the mics and preamp. In the past, I've just used the on board mic from the camera. The camera does not have a control for attenuation.

I was asking if anyone have tried using binaural microphones in lieu of the camera mic and if so, did it improve the sound and solve the distortion problem. I'm planning to test it, but didn't want to reinvent the wheel if someone had experience with it.

First of all forget about the on-board camera mic: it's only good for ambience. From it you may likely have very limited control possibilities.

Binaural mics, or I would say external stereo mics, will certainly improve your sound, and it's the way to do it.

The preamp also seems like a very good idea to control the mics. But you can only use it with a Beachtek going into it as line preamp. You should be able to go direct into the FX1 from the mic preamp.

Do it and see what you get.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1