Shutter Speed Questions.. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 14th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #1
Trustee

Shutter Speed Questions..

May I know when do we crank up the shutter speeds? I read from a thread to simulate fast movement, we can increase the shutter speed. Is that true? I would think the lighting has to be real good to do that. Other than that, I have not tried changing the shutter speeds yet..
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 06:32 PM   #2
Trustee

Hi Sean. I normally use 1/50s a second, and only change it for particular reasons, such as:

1. Very low light conditions, where I might use 1/25s. I'll take the additional motion blur in return for more light.

2. Special effect shots e.g. a waterfall where I might use 1/12s to get blurry water.

3. Very high ambient light where even with ND filters, I cannot stop down the aperture to get the depth of field control I want. In that case I might set the shutter to 1/125s or 1/250s to reduce the amount of light and allow me to open up the lens. This is not ideal though, because the motion can get a bit choppy. Would be better to use additional ND filter.

4. Extreme slow motion. If I know I will be slowing down the shot to less than half speed, I will use 1/125s or 1/250s (with 50i frame rate) so that the slo-mo is not too blurry.

Others may have different opinions but this is what I do. I have to say though, that the vast majority of the time I just use 1/50s.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 05:51 AM   #3
Trustee

Ooh thaz nice info.. didnt think of those situations yet.. I did try out 1/25 for nite shots.. very curious to find out the effects on turning wheels with something faster than 1/50..
Old December 21st, 2006, 11:19 AM   #4
Major Player

I shot a surf vid in France in HD and it was pretty sunny most the time- It looks great in it's native HD but because there is alot of action I think I would adjust my shutter speed to 1/125 as opposed to 1/50. I might be off here but when I compressed it for youtube, the results were really choppy, I am wondering if I had shot it at 1/125 and reduced it to a lesser fps, if it might have been smoother.
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 03:05 PM   #5
Major Player

I did tight follow (head to toe the whole time) for a hockey game last weekend and used 1/180 shutter and found it was too fast a shutter speed. I should've used 1/120. The faster shutter speed makes the players look like they're moving slower.

Weird thing is it looked pretty good on the LCD screen but not so great on the TV when I got home.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 12:57 AM   #6
Trustee

The FX1 shows that the motion is slower when i go below 1/50.. as for faster, i cant tell!
Old December 23rd, 2006, 05:05 PM   #7
Major Player

I really like faster shutters, especially when using 50i (in the pal land). For movies a slower shutter is better because the framerate is an appalling 24.
Mikko Lopponen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1