Sony FX1 or Sony FX7? Best image quality? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 21st, 2006, 03:02 PM   #1
Major Player

Sony FX1 or Sony FX7? Best image quality?

Hi, I make only documentaries around the world, often in the rainforest.
I look for the best image quality. In your opinion what is the best image quality between Sony FX1 or Sony FX7? 3CCD or 3 CMOS?
Thanks a lot
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 02:11 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Adriano

I don't think you'll find a huge difference in picture quality between these two models... Certainly not enough to base a choice of camera on...other than perhaps the low light capacity which would be better on the FX1.

However the ergonomics of each model is quite different.
FX7 is smaller and lighter. The FX1 is quite a bit bigger which may be an issue for hand held shots for you...

I've owned an FX1 and now have a Z1 and find them both excellent cameras. I love the top mounted LCD screen and the excellent aperture wheel. I personally find the larger camera easier to use, especially with a shoulder support...

Finally if you want the best audio, the Z1 has far better audio functions than the FX1. I used to had a Sign video box on my FX1 but the extra adjustments, phantom power, trim, etc you get on the Z1 has improved my audio quite a bit.. worth considering if your budget stretches to one!!!

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:03 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Gareth, thanks for your interesting reply. Now I use Sony VX2000 and its size satisfies me. Can you tell me if Sony FX7 is smaller than Sony VX2000?
The interesting matter for me is the Sony FX7 sucks less power from batteries.
I never worked with a very small camera and if Sony FX7 is too small I am worried.
A different question: I have the feeling that Sony FX1 will have a short life.
I don't like about FX7 is the CMOS is 1/4. FX1 has 1/3 CCD.
Thanks again.
Adriano Moroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 03:36 AM   #4
Major Player

The vx2000 and fx7 are roughly the same size.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 04:23 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi

As Evan says if you are happy with the size of the VX2000 then you'll be fine with an FX7...

As to the life of an FX1... well all cameras these days have a short life, as technology gallops... If you wait for the next thing just around the corner, you'll be waiting more than shooting. It's a fine camera... and that won't change, evenif it is replaced in the next couple of years.

Finally having used the FX1, as I said above, I'd no longer opt for a camera that doesn't have XLR inputs... I wasn't convinced until I got the Z1 of the advantages..

cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 07:01 PM   #6
New Boot

I have a FX1 and the audio issue came up as soon as I recorded a somewhat loud concert. Even though I manually set the input so that the peak levels didn't go in the red, the audio still came out distorted. I bought the Beachtek DXA-FX for the XLR inputs and a Rode videomic and now by sound is outstanding.
Norman Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 10:34 PM   #7
Major Player

Check out this link from the FreshHDV Blog...

It a google translation comparison of the FX1 and FX7... The original page is in German//

http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools
Theodore McNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Reid
I have a FX1 and the audio issue came up as soon as I recorded a somewhat loud concert. Even though I manually set the input so that the peak levels didn't go in the red, the audio still came out distorted. I bought the Beachtek DXA-FX for the XLR inputs and a Rode videomic and now by sound is outstanding.
Sorry this is off-topic....

I have exactly this same problem. With my Videomic on my standard-def DV cam i manually set the levels at a loudish concert recently and carefully made sure it wasn't "red-lining".

But..it still came out completely distorted. I think the Videomic level just overloads the cam's pre-amp and thats that even if you turn levels down.

Looks like I might get a Beachtek box then or something like yourself.

Can i ask if you mean you're still using Videomic with an XLR box?? It would make more sense i guess to use a balanced mic like NTG2 or NTG1. But i guess Videomic would work fine as long as you had a minijack-to-XLR converter.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
Sorry this is off-topic....

I have exactly this same problem. With my Videomic on my standard-def DV cam i manually set the levels at a loudish concert recently and carefully made sure it wasn't "red-lining".

But..it still came out completely distorted. I think the Videomic level just overloads the cam's pre-amp and thats that even if you turn levels down.

Looks like I might get a Beachtek box then or something like yourself.

Can i ask if you mean you're still using Videomic with an XLR box?? It would make more sense i guess to use a balanced mic like NTG2 or NTG1. But i guess Videomic would work fine as long as you had a minijack-to-XLR converter.
The problem is not with the videomic. The FX! do not have a way to set attenuation. I have a Canon GL2 and it has a way to set a limiter and there's no problem with distorted audio. The Sony is another story. The Beachtek allows you to hook up an external mic and you can set the attenuation and get around the distortion problem.
Norman Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 12:49 PM   #10
Trustee

Even if I believe the reasons for the distortion might be somewhere else in the FX1, you should partner it with a better mixer/preamp to get better audio results.

Something like the SD Mixpre should provide excellent results, or the ENG44.

The preamps are better and the control capability even more. They also have limiters, which are essential to avoid overload.

You also get into the FX1 with line levels, which are usually flatter.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2007, 07:15 PM   #11
Tourist

Sony FX1 or Sony FX7? Best image quality? REPLAY

THe FX7 is a 1/4" chip while the FX1 is a 1/3" chip.
The FX1 has a better image by far.
Jim Coontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 09:24 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Coontz
Because of the different technologies, you cant just compare the sensor size.

That's like saying a 2.5 litre engine is better than a 1.8 litre engine. There's more to it than that.
Justin Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 10:39 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Coontz
Jim - As Justin said there's relatively little validity in comparing these CMOS and CCD sensors.

In fact, take a look carefully at all the comparison shots of FX7 and FX1 , very competently done on this site :

http://www.fxsupport.de/12.html

and you will see that your statement "The FX1 has a better image by far" is essentially wrong.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:32 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Camcorderinfo did a recent review of the FX7. As I remember it, the video quality was great a high light levels, but worse than the FX1 at moderate and low levels.
Richard Iredale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 11:43 PM   #15
Tourist

Sony FX 1

I have been shooting with a sony FX7 & FX1 for over 2 years. Most of the time we shoot HD and it gets edited DV. But we do edit HD sometines and the FX1 is the camera you want to do this with. It holds whites better with out blowing them out. I also shoot with Sony 900 series. At times the FX1 can look just as good. Its all in the lighting. If you know about lighting you can make a any camera look good to a point. But I wouldn't trade a 900 for a FX1 and I would not trade a FX1 for a FX7. This is not from a web page test its from someone that shoots most every day.
Jim Coontz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1