weddings with a fx1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 18th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

weddings with a fx1

So Im thinking about getting an fx1 but id like to know what the results have been shooting weddings and sporting events with this camera?? all opions welcome
Chris Sinista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Hope you don't mind me saying - I use a Z1 for wedding videography and have done so without any problems. Visually speaking, I believe the Z1 and the FX1 are pretty much the same. But I was going to suggest that if you're specifically planning on shooting weddings, that the Z1 may be the better option because of its XLR inputs. Weddings are pretty much all talking and the better equipped you are to record everything that's said the better off you'll be. At least that's how I've always felt. Audio at a wedding is my priority number one. That said, there are other audio options for the FX1.
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Regular Crew

some things to consider

I've shot several weddings with an FX1 and have been very happy with the results. It's pretty good in low light and I especially like the zoom rocker control. The automatic settings work pretty well but if I need to manually override something all the controls are easily accessible. I need good auto modes because most of my attention is focused on panning, zooming, and framing my shots.

I agree that audio is very important but I felt that the price difference for the Z1U wasn't worth it for the improved audio and not that many more useful (to me) features. That is changing however as it seems the price difference is narrowing. I have found some less expensive options for now that give me acceptable audio.

I'm considering another FX1 or Z1U for a second wedding cam but I'm hesitant because I'd prefer something with a bigger zoom (12x is not enough for some of the bigger churches) and the only option with the FX1 seems to be a $850 1.6x adapter from Century. If you intend to shoot sporting events then this will be a problem for you as well.

The FX7/V1U has plenty of zoom but I'm leery of the lower light sensitivity. I also prefer a physically larger cam (although I'm probably in the minority on that aspect!) It seems like everything's a compromise!
Stephen Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #4
Major Player

I reckon the V1 would be a perfect camera for weddings. It's lighter than the Z1/FX1 (which most people would consider a benefit) and I've been very, very impressed by the auto modes. It seems to find a good colour by itself. I don't know the price difference between the FX1 and the V1 but I reckon the V1 might be worth the extra.
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hewat
I reckon the V1 would be a perfect camera for weddings. It's lighter than the Z1/FX1 (which most people would consider a benefit) and I've been very, very impressed by the auto modes. It seems to find a good colour by itself. I don't know the price difference between the FX1 and the V1 but I reckon the V1 might be worth the extra.

As John said, the XLR's are worth the difference. Now that the V1 is available there is a camera with XLR's that is closer in price to the FX. I used the V1 last week a little bit. The more compact size and reduced weight are nice. Still feels solid too.
Jeff Rhode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

fx1

I will stay with the fx-1 becouse of low light specialy if you do weddings, i tried the v1u and the fx7 very nice cams but not so good on low light...
Ruben Senderey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:47 PM   #7
Trustee

I'm not a wedding videographer, but I've done two weddings with my FX-1 and it was pretty painless.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 09:05 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I might be defecting to Canon

This thread has got me looking at the Canon XHA1 again. It's got the low-light performance and XLR's of the Z1 with the 20x zoom and progressive mode of the V1--and it costs less than both! Now if it only had a bigger LCD!!
Stephen Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #9
Regular Crew

i love my fx1e for weddings

what i like about the fx1e other than good low light perfomance is there are quick a/b white balance and gain switch which i think the fx7/v1 lacks...

ys
Yow Siang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1