ebay matte box - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:53 AM   #16
Trustee

In case someone buys one of this, I can help make it work. The instructions are faulty, and you will need to do some adjustments as well as several tips.

But it does work. Looks like a good tool to get started.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:40 PM   #17
Major Player

One last question Carlos, do you have any problems with vignetting from the "eyebrow shutters" on maximum wide angle. From your other answers I would guess that the answer is no - but I just have to check. Do you use this with any other wide angle adaptor? I have the Century 0.6X - which seems to vignette with every hood or matte box I have tried on it (and I have tried quite a few) - so I expect that this matte box would vignette with it as well, but if it does not vignette with the camera on the standard lens with maximum wide angle I would be happy.

Also what are the special instructions for assembly? Your help is much appreciated.

All the best,

Last edited by Graeme Fullick; February 24th, 2007 at 07:12 PM.
Graeme Fullick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick
One last question Carlos, do you have any problems with vignetting from the "eyebrow shutters" on maximum wide angle. From your other answers I would guess that the answer is no - but I just have to check.
Of course you should. No, no problem at all. In any case you should always open them a bit more after you see them on the VF. Just to be sure. But it's an excelent way to avoid reflections. Next best would be a bellows, which people in video do not seem to like too much.

Quote:
Do you use this with any other wide angle adaptor? I have the Century 0.6X - which seems to vignette with every hood or mate box I have tried on it (and I have tried quite a few) - so I expect that this matte box would vignette with it as well, but if it does not vignette with the camera on the standard lens with maximum wide angle I would be happy.
This is great! I have just tried it with my Century 0.6x. No vignetting at all! You even have a slight adjust on the shutters you can do. The French flag will probably help with it.

In any case the lens is quite protected from upper reflections as it is. There's about a 5 cm "tunnel" of MB as it is. Reflections coming from up front are the ones the flag might cut, at 45 degrees or less.

To let the WA fit I had to unscrew the back ring in the MB, which carries the rubber donuts for the several lenses it can accomodate. Without the ring the diameter was exactly it.

This is excellent. Now I can use my 4 x 4 filters with the WA too. :)))

I was afraid to try the MB with the WA, because I also pre-supposed it wouldn't work. It certainly did.

In fact, I think the back hole was designed exactly to fit that WA lens, which is not a standard diameter. I put some transparent tape over the lens ring to protect it from scratches though. I am still not sure if I will keep it.

Quote:
Also what are the special instructions for assembly? Your help is much appreciated.
If you are going to buy it, then do it. Then I explain it. If not you will not understand it.
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks so much Carlos - I might go ahead now. Still interested in the fact that you are not sure whether to keep it or not though. Is there any reason to not keep it if it seems to do all that you need?
Old February 25th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #20
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick
Thanks so much Carlos - I might go ahead now. Still interested in the fact that you are not sure whether to keep it or not though. Is there any reason to not keep it if it seems to do all that you need?
My comment on not keeping it was about the Century 0.6x. If I get to sell mine well here, I might go for the other Century HDV, which is .7x. This 0.6x does introduce some barrel distortion and is not zoom-through focusable.

About the matte-box it's different. My budget was limited when I bought mine, and I didn't know much about matte-boxes then. I had read a lot about them all, and some of the affordable ones (Formatt and Cavision) were not perfect. Zanutto, Chroziel and Vocas seemed to be the best, but too out of reach for my money. The one I thought could be the best deal was the Geardear.

It was then when I saw this one on eBay and thought was worth the risk.

Handling it has taught me a great deal on what should I look for if I sell this MB. But even if I don't, I am now starting to look at it with different eyes. What I can improve on it, I think, is finish quality. But as a tool it does all it's supposed to for not too much money. So whether you ask for more or not is a different question.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM   #21
Major Player

Carlos,

I have ordered the Matte box that we are discussing. Careful examination would seem to suggest that this is almost identical to the Vocas that Century optics sell.

Do you have any tips for use and assembly when I receive it in a couple of days. I remeber you saying that the assembly instructions were wrong, and was hoping to avoid any problems.

Also - does anyone have a good source of reasonable quality, but not too expensive 4 x 4 filters? I have the Century Optics Tru Pol, but it cost $300 here in Australia - so I was hoping to get some a bit cheaper on the internet.

All the best and thanks again for all of your help.

Reagrds,
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:52 PM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick View Post
I have the Century 0.6X - which seems to vignette with every hood or matte box I have tried on it (and I have tried quite a few)
I also have the .6x, and got Century's sunshade/filter holder which looks a bit like a mattebox however the filter doesn't rotate. When I purchased the lens they had a promotion to get the sunshade very inexpensively.

It doesn't vignette with the .6x, although you have to be careful to align it properly.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm...=1080&IID=1341
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:05 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
I have ordered the Matte box that we are discussing. Careful examination would seem to suggest that this is almost identical to the Vocas that Century optics sell.

Do you have any tips for use and assembly when I receive it in a couple of days. I remeber you saying that the assembly instructions were wrong, and was hoping to avoid any problems.
Please be patient. I will explain it to you when the MB arrives and everything will work out. It's no use explaining it now if you do not have the parts in front of you.

And yes, it seems to be identical to the Vocas. Quite probably not as well finished. But costing a lot less!

Quote:
Also - does anyone have a good source of reasonable quality, but not too expensive 4 x 4 filters? I have the Century Optics Tru Pol, but it cost $300 here in Australia - so I was hoping to get some a bit cheaper on the internet.
Yes, there is. But I am not too sure if you can get it from there. B&H sells this kit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

It has at least three that you will need: pola screen, graduated ND and black mist. You also get a graduated blue and graduated orange, that may help on daylight color effects.

There might be other sources for 4 x 4 filters in Singapur or Thailand, which is closer to you.

I also ordered a threaded Hoya UV, which protects the lens. But you can't use it with the .6x Century lens.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 04:11 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
I also have the .6x, and got Century's sunshade/filter holder which looks a bit like a mattebox however the filter doesn't rotate. When I purchased the lens they had a promotion to get the sunshade very inexpensively.

It doesn't vignette with the .6x, although you have to be careful to align it properly.
That was a bet I did that turned out OK. The matte-box fits perfectly with the .6x lens. You can adjust the shutters so they don't vignette, and there's at least 5 cm of sunshade to protect from reflections. There's also the french flag, which you can add up front.

Contrary to the Century shade, this one allows filter rotation and the MB weight is held by the rods.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 08:42 AM   #25
Wrangler

I'm sure the mattebox is fine and offers many advantages... But I was just pointing out to Graeme that there is indeed a lens shade which works with the .6x wide angle.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:10 PM   #26
Major Player

Thanks Carlos, I should have the item in about 4 or 5 days. The filters look like good value compared to the cost of my Schneider polariser.

Boyd,

Thanks for the advice on the Century shade.

I remembered your post about this, but when I went back to the B&H site it was no longer there. I ended up buying the Cavision LM100MW, which was recommended, but unfortunately it vignettes at 15 % zoom or less - which robs me of a lot of wide angle. It's rather surprising as it looks like a very wide square shade - and well made too. I have thought of trying to cut a few mm off it - but I would probably wreck it.

Once again, thanks everybody - your help is greatly appreciated.
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #27
Trustee

This may sound stupid, but this very simple DIY shade could solve your problem on some situations:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...641#post881641

I will even try it myself, as I saw a rubber foam material, about 1/2" thick, which was light enough and stiff enough to work fine on a shade.

The problem is how to secure it on the lens. But it would be light enough.
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:09 AM   #28
Major Player

Carlos,

My Matte box has just arrived - can you please give me your tips to get it to work better. At the moment it is still in the box - thought I'd wait for advice and avoid any frustration.

Your help is much appreciated.
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
My Matte box has just arrived - can you please give me your tips to get it to work better. At the moment it is still in the box - thought I'd wait for advice and avoid any frustration.

Your help is much appreciated.
Congratulations on your purchase.

Right now I am in the middle of a shooting, in another place in Brazil. Get back to Rio tomorrow at noon. Can you wait until then?

I have been using the matte-box here, and it has been great. With two 4 x 4 filters.

Carlos
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #30
Major Player

No problems Carlos,

Look forward to your return - enjoy the shoot.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1