Sony Shoulder HDV cam - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #31
Trustee

I should think so.

I hope things change here in the UK with regards to acqusition as I would to be able to use my Z1 and JVC201 for more stuff.
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:38 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Witzke
so.... if one would want to have their HDV ( let's say it's from a Z1 to keep it in thread ) footage accepted, they'd need to have it put/converted to HDCAM tape?
Yes. Broadcasters will (currently) only accept (in most cases) HDCAM, D5, or HDD delivery of HD projects. Our agency only accepts HDCAM, so we use a service bureau to print to HDCAM.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:43 PM   #33
Major Player

it's to bad they won't accept a disk with a quicktime file.... tapes just seem so fragile to me.

Phil.... is it the smaller formfactor of the z1 and 201 that makes you want to use them more than your f350?

I know I tend to use my canon 1dsII dslr more than my hassleblad as it is just "easier" but a loss in image quality.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #34
Trustee

It's what Douglas was saying earlier about using different cameras for different situations. I make a lot of docos and as much as I prefer an image from a 2/3rd inch or 1/2 inch chip, especially with regards to DOF it's so much easier to shoot with smaller cameras for a lot of stuff. You can get away with so much more. People are less intimidated by them and you can get away with filming in places that there is no way you could with a big camera.

Just look at the Sony A1, a tiny camera. I shot the HDV demo video on my website with it. If you see the full hi def version it's shocking that a camera that can fit in your coat pocket can deliver amazing images.

Tonight on Channel 4 there is a documentary that I co shot. There is some footage in the opening section that I shot with my A1 and the steadicam Merlin in DVCAM and you would struggle to tell the difference between it and the DSR 450 stuff. Yet the camera weighs less than that camera's battery!

At the end of the day it is who uses the camera that is key. Someone once said to me, in a tongue in cheek way. It's not the wand but the magician who uses it. If HDV does become fully accepted across the board then terrific. Personally I think it should. The first time I plugged in my Z1 to my TV and saw what I shot in the garden I was shocked.

If Sony brought out a DSR 450 replacement that shot HDV then I would be very happy. I just think that Sony have so much invested in XDCAM HD as the natural successor to the DSR series that it seems rather unlikely. That's why the cameras like the JVC 200/250 have the market pretty much all to themselves. I have only had it a few days but I am blown away by it's userfriendliness and picture quality. The 24p pictures are beautifully filmic, even without a DOF adaptor. Of course Canon have their own sort of shoulder mounted camera that also does beautiful pics. I just find it rather badly balanced. Stunning camera in every other respect!
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #35
Major Player

Looks like my wishes are to come true.........
http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/Show...=1175002583339

cheers
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1