tele? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:53 AM   #1
Major Player

tele?

The Kentucky Derby's coming up in May, and I have the opertunity to shoot some racing footage.... to me, the Z1's tele is a bit on the short side for anything like this...

Any of you fellas had success with an add on tele converter? any good ones over 2x?

thanks!
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Chris,

I do some Horse Videography (Stadium Jumping, Dressage, and Cross Country). I've found that 10 to 12X has usually been enough if you place yourself properly. I've found that adding X brings issues of focus, Cam balance, and increased need of a very stable platform. (if you've got a very good lens)

If you can, try to do a tryout of a simular distance situation (if you can't actually try it at the track). You may find you've got enough with your Cam's X.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I've used the Sony HG (don't have exact no.) 1.7 58mm mount with a step down ring on my FX1. It vignettes except at longest telephoto ranges, but actually does a very nice job. I would love a good 2x, because it still needs more length for nature type shots..
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Wrangler

Cristopher - I agree that the Z1 needs extending for many applications. I have the 1.6x Century which is nice, but not cheap. They now make a 2x which is really expensive. See the following threads:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=58525
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=71285
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=66234
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 12:46 PM   #5
Major Player

thanks guys!
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:29 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I just picked up the Centure Optics 2.0x teleconverter. I haven't filmed with it yet but I have played around with it and found that it focuses very quickly and I haven't noticed any iris degrading with in on. Granted, it's not the best review as I haven't plugged it into the cmpt yet. But next weekend I'm filming a wedding and I'll let you know the results after that.
Justin Carlson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1