Is the Chrosziel 450-HDV matte box a good long term investment? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 15th, 2007, 06:55 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Hi serena,

You mean a threaded polarizer and the mattebox with it's filters. So I could use any extra filter on the lens before I put on the matte box and it wouldn't disturb? What about this thing I read that a polarizer should be used in front of 'gelatine' filters. Does this have any consequences for videographers? (I read it related to some Nikkon gelatin filterholders. Maybe it applies more to still photography.) Are there any advantages to putting just the polarizer in a threaded form (cheaper? More userfriendly?...)

How is it that every answer raises so many new questions? Is that human curiosity?

Thanks,

Johan
Johan Bollen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Steuart View Post
Remember that you can use a screw threaded polariser on the lens itself (or any other 72mm filter).
I'd suggest trying these first with your Z1 set to ALLSCAN mode before purchasing. I have a nice 72mm Schneider rotating linear polarizer which I picked up in a used camera store. Only problem is, it vignettes slightly on the Z1 at full wide zoom.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #18
Trustee

One other thing to watch for, I think the 4x4 filters don't give you enough coverage if you want to use a W.A. adaptor.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:36 AM   #19
Trustee

Having a matte-box with a rotating tray is of course the thing to look for. Almost all of them will do that, and the Chrosziel is certainly in that bunch.

But I think you should check if the clearance between the filter and the rods lets move the filters vertically low enough so you can use a graduated filter.

For me that is the most useful filter you will find for video, as it will help you lower contrast.

On my MB I will file small half circles on each side of the filter holder so it can go low enough to allow me more correction.
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #20
Major Player

gelatin filters & polariser

I'm not familiar with the guidance you mention and it seems to suggest that non-uniformities in gelatin filters partially rotate the the plane of polarized light (as does toughened glass). I prefer glass filters, but they are more expensive (especially over the 4 x 4 size).
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Thank you all for your answers. There are some doubt still left but I think I need to get a basic package now and start experimenting.

Johan
Johan Bollen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1