Does the VCL-HG0872 hold filters? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 8th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does the VCL-HG0872 hold filters?

I just ordered this lens for my FX1 but I'd still like to add a polarizer. Suggestions?
George Vick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Vick View Post
I just ordered this lens for my FX1 but I'd still like to add a polarizer. Suggestions?
I have mine in front of me, and there are no front threads for a filter. There are some nice-looking grooves on the metal surrounding the front element , though they don't appear to be useful for gripping, not even for the lens hood. Given that amount of effort put into the grooving, I would have REALLY appreciated front filter threads.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 02:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Discuraging but i guess ill do it in post.
George Vick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Vick View Post
Discuraging but i guess ill do it in post.
I'm sure you can buy an inexpensive clamp-on filter holder. At the very least, you can buy an expensive mattebox that can hold the filter. Chuckle. What was Sony thinking when they didn't include front filter threads on a wide angle converter for an HD camera? I guess they don't see that anyone will buy a set of filters for their specialty filter diameter and just use a matt box.

Can you really do effective polarization in post ?

Have you seen the wide angle converters by 16x9 , that include front filter threading ?
http://16x9inc.com/products/16x9/169...1-son-z1u.html

Careful, though. The 0.7x has 95mm filter threads while the 0.75EX doesn't appear to have any.

Last edited by Gints Klimanis; July 9th, 2007 at 04:25 AM. Reason: new web link
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1