Compact Flash Cards/Doc settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old December 22nd, 2008, 03:43 PM   #1
New Boot

Compact Flash Cards/Doc settings

Hello there everyone,

I've just ordered the Sony HVR-Z5E and cannot wait to get started with it. I've ordered the compact flash reader and was just wondering if any users could recommend a good/reputable flash card?

Looking on Amazon there are a few Sandisk cards (Extreme 3/4 - 16GB/32GB) so I was just going to order one of these I think. There are so many out there it would be helpful if anyone could steer me in the right direction....

I'm a documentary film-maker and have been stealing cameras for years from my friends at college ha ha, but now I've taken the plunge and moved up a gear and sold my soul for this cam! All I've really been used to is shooting on mini-DV, so if anyone shooting in High def has a breakdown on what settings have worked for them that would be useful to know. I will of course be experimenting when I get my hands on it, but any input would be most appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Matty

Last edited by Matty Ross; December 22nd, 2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: typo
Matty Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2008, 09:28 PM   #2
Major Player

I bought a 32gb pretec from Hongkong. Here:
Pretec 32GB 32G CF Card Compact Flash Memory 233x Speed - eBay (item 110317923398 end time Dec-25-08 20:06:58 PST)

Jun
Old December 22nd, 2008, 10:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

CF cards

I've been using the Ridata 16GB cards without any issue with the Z7U and CF recording unit. I just bought a Ridata 32GB card from SuperMediaStore for $110. I have Sandisk 16Gb cards also and they work fine also.
Jon Goulden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 05:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

CF recording unit & FX1000

Hey Jon do you know if using the CF recording unit with the FX1000 happens via Firewire?

Does the CF unit simply take flash cards and allows one to record in realtime as well as to mini DV tape?

Hoping this works with the FX1000 as lugging a laptop along has been a pain.

I film dance concerts. Sometimes they are 4-5 hours in length and I run two cameras. Now that's a lot of download time mini DV tape.

Thinking compact flash would be the go.

Please tell me it can happen with the FX1000.
Martin Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Should be fine using with FX1000. It even works with the canon XH-A1. The only disadvantage is you have to use a cable, additional battery and the cradle which will add additional weight compared to z5 or z7.

Jun
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:46 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Duffy View Post
Hey Jon do you know if using the CF recording unit with the FX1000 happens via Firewire?

Does the CF unit simply take flash cards and allows one to record in realtime as well as to mini DV tape?

Hoping this works with the FX1000 as lugging a laptop along has been a pain.

I film dance concerts. Sometimes they are 4-5 hours in length and I run two cameras. Now that's a lot of download time mini DV tape.

Thinking compact flash would be the go.

Please tell me it can happen with the FX1000.
Sorry, I don't know since I'm using the Z7U. It allows simultaneous recording to both CF and tape but there is a setting in the camera to do this. I assume that the Z5U will do so also since it integrates the CF recorder. I've been debating what to buy for my second camera - a) Z5U with CF recorder or b) FX1000 with CF recorder and XLR adapter.
Jon Goulden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000