HC-1 playback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 1st, 2009, 08:17 AM   #1
Major Player

HC-1 playback

As space on my pc table is limited i use my trusty HC-1 for all my hdv pc work,the hc-1 cam plays its own and my FX-7s footage fine,my question is would it playback footage from an FX-1000 in 25p mode,the FX-1000 would certainly mean buying a larger pc table for pc work and there is realy no room for anything larger at present.

Last edited by Martyn Hull; January 1st, 2009 at 12:02 PM.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 11:08 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm not certain, but if my understanding is correct the following is true:

The FX1000 footage is recorded as 60i when in 24p mode. It will retain the characteristics of 24p even though the footage is actually 60i.

Therefore your other camera should capture the FX1000 24p footage just fine.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 12:11 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I'm not certain, but if my understanding is correct the following is true:

The FX1000 footage is recorded as 60i when in 24p mode. It will retain the characteristics of 24p even though the footage is actually 60i.

Therefore your other camera should capture the FX1000 24p footage just fine.
Thanks Jeff,we are pal here 50i - 25p but i doubt that should make any difference to what you say.
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Right, it shouldn't.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Regular Crew

We all hope you're right Jeff.

Interesting question though, in that if any of us use a cheap HDV camera for playback of our progressive stuff in and out of a computer, will any HDV cam be ok?

The HDV player at our club that will be used to show HDV films will be the Sony GV-HD700 player, but will it play progressive scan? Anyone know of any issues here?
Old January 1st, 2009, 05:32 PM   #6
Major Player

It was my understanding that the 24p and 25p modes in the Z7, S270, Z5 and FX1000 were different than the 24p/25p mode in the V1, for example. I don't know this for a fact but some of the Sony propaganda seems to indicate that it is different.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 06:08 PM   #7
Regular Crew

The last thing I want thanks to my Z5 best toy is to take my HDV tapes around the place, and get the dreaded 'DVD-style' media not recognised. I'm not sure if blu-ray will actually take off, or end up the next betacam, so I need to get some reassurance that I can export to HD and show off my efforts out and about - in competitions and at film-shows (when they're good enough).

I would guess that the EX1 guys are maybe worse off than the likes of HDV film-makers if they want to distribute their full quality works around the general public.
Old January 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Major Player

As far as I know, at this time, the best distribution method for consumers is BluRay. Best, in this case, meaning HD quality. But if you are doing commercial work for your local TV stations, it used to be a no-brainer. You just put everything on BetacamSP and everyone was happy. But what do you do in the very near future? I have talked to some other post production facilities and everyone is up in the air. Until things get settled out, there is no standard anymore.

BTW, I was talking to a salesman at the local Circuit City and he said they sold a ton of BluRay players before Christmas. So it looks like consumers might be adapting to BluRay fairly quickly. How many of us have the ability to burn BluRay discs?
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2009, 07:12 PM   #9
Inner Circle

There seems to have been a huge number of Blue Ray players being sold in the UK as well these last few weeks from what some dealers have told me. Heck, I even got given 3 Blue Ray discs for Xmas (luckily I have a PS3 so can watch them).
Old January 2nd, 2009, 05:09 AM   #10
Major Player

Mm i think ill have to hear from someone who has done what i asked with a pal cam before any more purchasing thoughts .
Martyn Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000