I got an FX1000 to play with. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 6th, 2009, 11:42 PM   #1
Major Player

I got an FX1000 to play with.

A friend bought a FX1000 when they first came out. I have done him some favors so he is loaning me his new toy for a week or so. I have a V1 and a VX2100 so I am going to play. My first impression was "Wow, it is pretty big." It looks the part of the BIG brother to the V1 or VX2100. To my eye, it makes the V1 and VX2100 look like less serious gear. I like the look. I wonder if I will like the extra weight after shooting handheld for a while.

So far, the only tape I have rolled is to put some color bars on a new tape. So I have nothing to report on comparitive image quality.

One of my big interests is to compare the low light capabilities between the FX1000 and the VX2100, the current low light champion. My crude preliminary tests, with both set on auto, seem to show that the FX1000 thinks it needs similar or less gain with similar f-stops under identical lighting conditions, to the VX2100. That would seem to indicate it will perform pretty well with low light. At least as well as the VX2100. But there is no doubt that the VX2100 can autofocus much faster than the FX1000 under low light conditions. At least less than 1/2 the time according to my unofficial mental clock. One saving grace is that I can easily manually assist the autofocus on the FX1000. But no matter how much I twist the focus ring on the VX2100 while it is in autofocus, I can't seem to help the VX2100 if it is having a hard time finding focus.

One other initial impression is that I don't like the somewhat recessed buttons on the FX1000. My fingers don't seem to go into the little wells where the buttons reside. I find I am having to use my fingernails to actuate the buttons. I guess it would make it hard to accidentally change settings while shooting. I know the owner and others on this forum have issues with the selection mode roller/button but that part has worked OK for me, so far.

I am excited to have a chance to play with this new toy. Maybe I will get to burn some tape tomorrow.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #2
Major Player

Your gonna enjoy playing around with the 1000 Greg. My guess is, you will not want to give it back.

The weight will wear you out at the end of the day, but my handheld work was much improved over the 2100. I assume it's the larger size that helps you hold it much more steady.

Have fun.
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:09 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Heavier cameras are steadier handheld or on a tripod. I like that much better about this camera, very steady.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; January 7th, 2009 at 07:41 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 07:10 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It would be very interesting to see how the V1 compares to the FX1000.
It would be nice to hear what you think.

Cheers

Hans
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Darn. Didn't get to play today. Maybe tomorrow.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000