CinemaTone? Do you use it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000

Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CMOS HDV camcorder.

Old January 12th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #1
Major Player

CinemaTone? Do you use it?

I own a Z7u and just purchased an FX-1000. I was curious as to how many of you adjust these settings in the camera or do it in post? I like the option of doing my color correcting/adjusting later. Are there any benefits to doing it in camera vs. later?
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #2
Major Player

I have just started to experment with the picture profiles so I don't have a lot of knowledge in this area. A couple of days ago I shot video of a friend driving his truck. I used cinematone 1 (I think) because it is my understanding that it cuts down the dynamic range of the scene. In the past when I have done this, if the driver was exposed well then the background sky was completly blown out. If you don't see any detail in the sky then it is hard to put it back in during post. With the cinematone profile selected, I could get a good exposure on the face and I could still easily see the coulds. So I think there is something there to be gained that cannot come out of post.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:41 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm a firm believer in doing what you can in camera. You just have to make sure that's the look you want, going back can be a pain or impossible to do. In a controlled environment yes.....run and gun....never.

Cinematone 1, used with black compress, gives a look I like....in good lighting.
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I would think Cinema Tone would be especially effective for the getting ready footage, unless the room has dark or very warm look to begin with. If the venue is relatively cool then the Cinema Tone would be especially nice.

I have used it once but the background had a very rich, warm look to begin with and it was too much.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Here's two frame grabs you can compare. I think the resolution was reduced when they were uploaded. You can really see a difference in full resolution.

The one that says on is cinematone 1, black compress on.
Attached Thumbnails
CinemaTone?  Do you use it?-off.jpg   CinemaTone?  Do you use it?-.jpg  

Last edited by Tim Akin; January 13th, 2009 at 11:06 AM.
Tim Akin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:57 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I would think Cinema Tone would be especially effective for the getting ready footage, unless the room has dark or very warm look to begin with. If the venue is relatively cool then the Cinema Tone would be especially nice.
Jeff, like I said I am just getting into this area but from what I read, Cineamtone would be good for high contrast scenes like you would encounter outside in the sunlight. Scenes where whites and light colors could get really blown out but shadow detail would be lost on the other end. I would think it wouldn't be ideal of indoor shooting where the exposure latitude is much less. But maybe someone with more experience in this area can clarify this.
Greg Laves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Wow Tim, the black compress really helped the black in your photo. Nice. I use that setting also.

Greg, thanks for the message about the shoe adapter!

Last edited by Jeff Harper; January 13th, 2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Major Player

Tim,

I agree with your No to "Run and Gun". Each Bridal Prep is so different that I think my "washed out" standard look is better. Correcting in post is going to be the safer method for me.
Can these presets be saved/swapped from camera to camera on the Sony Z7u? My old Canon XHA1 had lots of user created profiles that I pulled from this forum.

-Chad
Chad Dyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Good question Chad. I'd like to start a section for FX1000 saved setting files... like they have for the xh-a1. There is a large archive of presets.
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #10
Major Player

That would be good!
Old January 20th, 2009, 05:40 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Greg, thanks for the message about the shoe adapter!
Jeff what message did Greg give you about the shoe adapter? I think you can buy a shoe apapter offset for the front shoe adapter for a small light (like the Frezzi Micro) maybe you can use the rear shoe for your light which would still allow you to still use the LCD.
Douglas Call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:04 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Actually he gave me a link to b&h for a NRG adapter. NRG | 59111 Accessory Tri-Mount | 59111 | B&H Photo Video
Old January 20th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #13
Major Player

That's great I found several other much more compact adapters as well. Below is one that fits in the mike holder.

thej-rod.com
Douglas Call is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z5 / HDR-FX1000